Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica S2 'extra' parts Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Konica S2 'extra' parts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rpetra
Tinkerer
Username: Rpetra

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First post, first repair. I bought a Konica Auto S2 that seemed to fire properly at the thrift shop but when I got it home I saw a free shutter blade sliding around. This was not such a bad thing as it gave me a reason to tinker. With the excellent information on this site and others, over two weeks I managed to take apart, clean and reassemble the shutter and camera to working condition after which I successfully tested it with film.

Although the camera is working, it's bugging me that I ended up with 2 'extra' parts. They look like spacers but I did not see from where they came. I think the triangular piece was just loose inside the lens and the circular piece was under the self-timer.

Konica S2 unknown parts

Does anyone know where these pieces go and the long-term impact of not putting them in, besides not sleeping at night?

Regards,
rp

Fidji
Tinkerer
Username: Fidji

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, February 24, 2012 - 04:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there.The more cameras that you take apart the more you will find having a couple of bits left over is quite common.Sometimes,especially with zenit cameras the loose part or screw rattling about inside is the problem!Apparently car mechanics suffer from this too.If the camera works without them just put it down to over engineering.Sleep well,perfection will drive you insane!

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 65

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 03:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fidji wrote: "Sleep well,perfection will drive you insane!" Now, WTFIT??
The same may be said of the opposite!
Imperfection does NOT make any serious tinkerer happy.
Have tinkerers become just too doddery or weak-headed to get things back together again the correct way?

Japanese makers can in no respect be compared with Soviet ones, even small parts would have added up to a considerable loss of money and quality in the long run, so forget about rattling parts that were dropped by slovenly working staff in Japanese vintage camera production.
The triangular part usually sits right underneath the shutter blade next to the triggering lever, most probably the one that was loose in your shutter in the first place (it is there to add to the sturdiness of the array), but, of course, it is somehow "superfluous" as the shutter is operable without it being installed. Shims like the small brass washer were used for various reasons in several areas of the camera (under the shutter delay mech to level out mechanical differences, on the battery box, in the light meter assy, etc).

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 155

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 06:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter manufacturers certainly don't put in superfluous parts. It would not make economic sense. As for the parts in the photo, I believe that the flat metal part with the two holes, while looking similar to the special support shutter blade, is actually a shim that is used in some shutters under the speeds escapement.
Bill

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 66

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some prefer to discard the overlapping sixth blade in some so-called five-blade shutters because they find it is not necessary. IMHO the triangular part, just like that sixth blade, has to be installed, as they both contribute to the system's solidity and durability. I must admit however, I also found this part, among the ordinary round ones from bluish steel or brass, used as a shim under the escapement assy.
And of course, like always in life, everybody can decide for themselves, like those who put them there.
But, again, I do not think that a wrongly assembled mechanism is sth to be especially proud of, just because it "works". I faintly recall a very frustrating shutter repair attempt in which the blades refused to work like they were expected to, because the shims were not put in.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 156

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter will probably work without the escapement shim installed, but as for it working well or for a long time, that's another question. For those who aren't familiar with this shim, here is some info on how it is used:
On this Copal shutter, each end of the speeds escapement is attached with a screw and a shim to the mechanism plate. These shims, although not very thick (app. .003"), help to align the contact surfaces of the main cam and the retarding lever on the escapement. If these surfaces are not aligned, full contact of the escapement is not made and this could result in speeds not being able to be calibrated and certainly could lead to premature wear on the retarding lever pivots.
As a practical matter, this might not matter to some folks today who are not critical users of the camera/shutter , but it really is best to restore a shutter to manufacturers specs if at all possible.
Bill

Rpetra
Tinkerer
Username: Rpetra

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks you all very much for the help, especially Bill.
I have put the shims under the speed escapement as Brcamera described above. One hole of the triangular shim is held in place by a short brass post, and the other hole of the same piece aligns over the hole for the longer screw which holds down the speed escapement. The brass shim goes over the other screw hole.

Konica S2 Speed Escapement Shims

Now I can sleep.

Regards,
rp

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration