Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 light meter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon A-1 light meter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikesnothome
Tinkerer
Username: Mikesnothome

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently acquired a canon a-1 which seems to be in fair condition with some casual external wear.

However while in program mode, the light meter read-out gives the maximum exposure of the given asa dial value regardless of lighting conditions. I've done some research and have experience with electronic hardware repair so I found a service manual and opened it up.

I could not identify loose connections or corrosion. I did find that the photocell had a white crystalized film covering it which I scrapped off. I do not have any camera specific test equipment for measuring the output of the photocell, and I've never worked with cameras before so I closed it back up.

There was no performance change with the photocell being cleaned up, but for one brief moment a day later the meter seemed to give actual variable readings when initially turned on, but quickly went back to giving a constant max exposure reading.

For your reference the max read-out while at asa 100 in full program mode has been "15" 1.8" with a FD 50mm 1:1.8 lens. This is the readout regardless of full day sun light or dim room light etc. Also I have a currently available energizer 6v battery inside.

That short instance of actual variable readouts leaves me baffled, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Also what kind of tester is required to test the bus leads for the photocell? can this be achieved with a standard circuit testing meter?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 975

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 05:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suggest you search the archives before we get into endless details - this is a relatively common fault and there is an awful lot of stuff in the archives on it. Read what is there and then come back with any questions you may have - this will save you an awful lot of going endlessly round in circles.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration