Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Attaching the Contaflex Super BC lens... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Attaching the Contaflex Super BC lens/shutter assembly to the body « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ameliezapf
Tinkerer
Username: Ameliezapf

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I've (almost) finished refurbishing a Contaflex Super BC (aka Contaflex S, the one with CdS TTL metering). I fixed the light meter circuit and gave the lens/shutter assembly a CLA.

Now the lens/shutter needs to be reattached to the body. There are five items altogether that need to be in contact with their counterparts in the body:
(a) The wind/release sprocket,
(b) the focus follower,
(c) the shutter speed crank,
(d) the aperture axis,
(e) the flash contact.

(b) to (e) attach just fine and dandy. The problem is (a), the wind/release sprocket. It is turned by a removable axis in the body that is toothed on its far end. When I put it in in a position in which the lens will attach easily (the winding teeth are in the 10 and 4 o'clock positions when looking at the front of the body), operating the rapid-wind lever will not cock the shutter fully. OTOH, if I insert it one tooth further, the tooth positions are at 9 and 3 o'clock (aka horizontal), and I can't get the lens to completely attach. Furthermore, the number of teeth on the axis is even, so turning it 180 degrees has zero effect.

Is there a nifty trick to perform the attachment? Or does anybody have a repair manual for this camera? This should be a fairly common problem, as this junction would have to be made with almost any kind of repair on this type of camera, which isn't exactly a rare beast.

Feedback of any kind (save offensive ;-) ), as always, is warmly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Amy

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1183

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm afraid I don't have any magic solutions... I've encountered this once or twice, and not on other occasions. It may not be rare, but a beast it is.

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 55

Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find it helps to say a lot of rude words and then go away and have a beer before having another shot.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1184

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2012 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dunno, I've tried that. Quite a bit, actually

hmmmm. Maybe if you say them in German, though ... haven't tried that yet.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 170

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2012 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did ! Shouted "Schei.. Kamera", but it didn't help ;-)

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 65

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I prefer "Schei.. Ikon"...

but sorry, no further suggestions.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 237

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dag nabbit doesn't work either.

Amy, have you tried making sure the shutter/lens assembly agrees with the camera before mating? In other words, is the shutter charged, but the camera advance not? Or vice versa? Try it with the shutter tripped, and the film transport not advanced. Then try it with the shutter charged, and the transport advanced.

Then the German words.

PF

Ameliezapf
Tinkerer
Username: Ameliezapf

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With generous help by Klaus Lesnick, the problem was resolved. With the transport gears sticky, the shutter cocking sprocket didn't wind fully. The camera is now back working fine.

Regards, thanks for all the input,

Amy

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration