Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex Old Standard - Red window Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex Old Standard - Red window « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Azor
Tinkerer
Username: Azor

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

how can I remove the red window from a Rolleiflex old standad? I am trying to fix the broken red glass/plastic but I don't know how to remove the piece... Any ideas??

Thanks

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 252

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, It's easy, but a bit fiddley. You peel off the leatherette, same as you would with pretty much any other TLR with a red window. BTW, if you go to Staples (or other office supply store), you can find red index tabs for hanging files; they are cheap and they work fine as replacement windows. Like these: http://tinyurl.com/865h8mw $2.55 gives you enough to replace about 50 windows.

Azor
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But how do I remove the window (the metal circle that holds the red plastic) from the camera?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 255

Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the bezel is held in place, it is nearly always with tabs. You will have to bend them straight.

Azor
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I don't get it... this is an image of an identical window:

http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00K/00K0gV-35056584.jpg
http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00K/00K0gS-35056484.jpg

Am I supose to rotate the metal frame? How I do that? I can't use a spanner...

Thanks

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 56

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Azor,

I had a quick look at my Rolleiflex old Standard and the red window looks to me like it is assembled between an inner and outer frame. I think those round frames are pressed together, there is no sign that anything is screwed together, it is probably as good as impossible to separate them to replace the red window.

If I were doing the job I would simply cut away any remaining red window neatly and glue a new one to the inside frame . I doubt anyone will ever know the difference.

Regards, Chris

Azor
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris,

but I'm sure that have to be a way to separate the two frames... for example, to replace the leatherette... just can't find out how...

Regards

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 247

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like most red window frames, they are probably two pieces pressed together using a mandrel, so that they form a single unit, sort of like the rivets on a pair of blue jeans. Take it apart, and it's next to impossible to put back together. Chris's method is the usual fix for this. As for removing the leather, just be careful, and if it is under the frame, cut it loose around the window. When you glue it back down, it should look normal.

If you are really set on removing the whole frame, check with brcamera first to see if he has the parts. He had some things for my Automat I didn't think I'd ever find.

PF

Azor
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Br1078lum!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration