Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

A complete newbie needing help with A... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » A complete newbie needing help with Agfa Isolette ii (I know next to nothing about classic cameras) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alphad0g
Tinkerer
Username: Alphad0g

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Im completely new to the vintage camera scene, and i'd really love to take it up as a hobby. I'm only 16 so I have absolutely no idea on anything at all, so I also need help with jargon (especially the names of camera parts). I'd really love to get into film photography too

Recently I inherited my grandpa's agfa isolette ii, it's outwards appearance is very good, the camera lens thing pops out fine, indicating the bellows is in good shape. The wheel on the top left (has numbers on it, I'm not sure what it is for) turns ok. However, the silver knob on top of the pop-out lens does not move and I'n scared to apply excessive force to it (the knob I'm talking about is more like a lever, I know that there are 2 of them, the much smaller one moves fine, it's the bigger one closer to the glass lens that is not moving at all).

Also, there is a little knob on the bottom half of the lens, with a red circle on it, that wiggles just the tiniest bit when I press it, but does not move otherwise.

Finally, I've done a little reading up on the agfa isolette ii, and I am happy to say that mine does not have any of that 'green goo' stuff on it (whatever that is).

So if anyone could explain to me what I need to do to get the knobs moving (please keep in mind I know next to nothing so keep it very simple) and tell me what those knobs and what the other wheels and numbers are for, and what film to use and where to buy it, I would appreciate you help very very very much.

I'm very excited and keen to start film phopgraphy, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 172

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To get familiar with the Isolette II functions it's good to first read its manual. You can find it here :
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/agfa/agfa_isolette_ii/agfa_isolette_ii.htm

Answers for your other questions will be provided later.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 149

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may have cocked the shutter, but it cannot fire until the "film" is advanced. Turn the right hand knob on the top of the camera until it clicks. There is a little indicator beside the knob that should change colour. After you have done this, you should be able to press the shutter button (top right button on the camera).
See if this does anything.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 173

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just checked the little indicator as described by Waynemel on my Isolette II. When it is Red you cannot release the shutter (double exposure prevention engaged) and should first turn the Winderknob till the indicator is blank.

The silver knob on top of the shutter is the cocking lever. When it is exactly at the top the shutter is released, when it is more to the left (when looking at the frontview of the camera) and you see part of its lever then the shutter is cocked.

The little knob with the red circle at the bottom of the lens is the Selftimer Lever.
A word of caution here, many times the Selftimer mechanism is dirty after so many years and could stick halfway its operation. Better not actuate that lever.
Actuating is done by pushing it to the left.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 239

Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Al, you should also take the camera into a dark room, and shine a flashlight all around the inside of it, looking for any light leaks from the outside. Those old Agfa/Ansco bellows may look good, but until you test it, you can't be sure. I do this with all my camera bellows.

PF

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration