Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to remove the shutter unit from a... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » How to remove the shutter unit from a Wirgin Edinex? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joppe
Tinkerer
Username: Joppe

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all!

I'm new here, as you can see, so I'm going to take this opportunity to introduce myself as well. My name is Johan and I'm from Sweden. I recently got myself a spanking new Sony NEX-5n. (no, I promise that my post is not going to be about that :-)) In order to quickly and cheaply expand my selection of lenses, I also got my hands on a number of old manual SLR lenses to adapt to the camera. Together with these lenses came a few old SLR bodies, such as a cosmetically very nice Auto Reflex T(2) with its mechanism hung (self timer problem, it seems). I intend to try to repair that one in due time and I also got my hands on the camera repair book by Tomosy.

But my question here isn't about the Auto Reflex, but rather about an even older camera: Wirgin Edinex. Possibly as old as from before the war.

You can find some camera pr0n with these beauties in the imgur album here:
http://imgur.com/a/mlV9A#0

When I first laid eyes on them, I thought to myself: WOW! I think they are just _smashing_ looking with their quirky ornate shutters, collapsable tube and curiously shaped bodies. They are really small and cute as well. And now they are mine. Both of them. :-)

Now, my goal with these two cameras is not to keep them as shelf pieces, but rather to get them into working order and bring them around to take pictures. I even managed to get myself a separate pole-mounted rangefinder to go with them. Their totally basic, manual handling will be in nice contrast, both visually and conceptually, to the hyper-modern, high-resolution, photographic machinegun that the Sony NEX is. :-)

Furthermore, these cameras seem to be a heck of a lot simpler to tinker with than any SLR from the 60-70:s, so I figure that doing a CLA on them should be a good warm-up before I tackle the Auto Reflex.

But to my actual question now: The first thing I'd like to do in order to dismantle and clean this camera is to remove the shutter unit which sits at the end of the collapsable tube. There are no visible screws near the joint between the shutter unit and the tube, so my first guess was that they are threaded and just screwed on. I tried to unscrew it, but didn't want to use much force until I'm sure that that is the right way to get the shutter off.

Is there anyone here that would happen to know how this Prontor shutter comes off the tube?

Thanks in advance and enjoy the pictures. :-)

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 23

Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Generally thse shutters have a male threaded part that goes thru tha hole in the plate to which it is attached and which in turn is attached to the belows. If you see the back of this plate you will see a tube like thing in which the rare lense elements appear to be fitted.this tube is nothing but the nut that holds the shutter in place. Try to unscrew the tube. That is it.

Joppe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply. The Edinex isn't a bellows camera. The shutter is mounted on a metal tube that collapses into the body in a manner similar to the Leitz Elmar 50mm F3.5.

But it could be that you're right anyway. You lock/unlock the tube in its extended position by twisting it, so it would be a poor design if it just unscrewed. It's quite possible that there is a locking ring/nut inside the tube that I'd need to unscrew using a spanner or something. I'll look into it.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 174

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just had a look at my Edinex. When you remove the back you see the backside of the tubus. There you see 2 rings. Each ring has 2 slots.

The outer ring probably holds the shutter to the tubus. I had a try and partially unscrewed (counterclockwise) it with a dedicated lensspanner which must fit well into the 2 rather narrow slots. I felt that the Shutter/lens Assy came loose but didn't want to go any further this late in the evening.

Joppe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that's that then. Good thing I have a spanner wrench. I'll have a go at it when I have some spare time this weekend. Thanks for your taking your time with this!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration