Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Prontor SVS 9 stpes shutter needs help. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Prontor SVS 9 stpes shutter needs help. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wonloo
Tinkerer
Username: Wonloo

Post Number: 43

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am working on a Prontor SVS from a balda Super Baldina 35. The shutter was stuck open and that was a easy fix. After reassembled the escapement back to the shutter. Speed test showed speed settings 1 - 1/30 were within 1/4 of a stop which is pretty good for an old leaf shutter. However, the high speed setting 1/60 - 1/300 were slow. I tried to find information on the Internet and all SVS shutters I found were for the older speed setting in 8 steps/2 ranges: 1, 2, 5, 10 in low range and 25, 50, 100, 300 in high range. The one I have is newer setting in 9 steps/3 ranges: 1, 2, 4/ low, 8, 15, 30/ middle and 60, 125, 300/high.

pic1
9 speed steps

pic2
two palltes

Here is the thing that puzzles me (please see the pictures for details): there are two pallets, a larger one on the left and smaller one on the right, on the flywheel that control the speed. If I manually push the pallets, I can feel three different resistances for three ranges. As the speed plate rotating into middle range, the larger pallet disengages. In two ranges shutter this shifts the shutter into high speed. When rotated into high (60 - 300) speed, there is nothing on the speed plate disengages the smaller pallet.

pic4

As on the picture, the only handle I can find on the smaller pallets is on the underside of the escapement. Can anyone worked on this kind of shutter before share some knowledge? Thanks in advance.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 146

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a photo of a Prontor SVS as fitted to a Voigtlander Vito. It looks the same as yours.

Prontor SVS speed setting slot

I have labelled the levers from the retard mechanism where they sit in the slot.

Here is a photo of the mechanism.

Retard mechanism in shutter.

I have labelled the levers.
Good luck

Wonloo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much, Greg.

your pictures confirm my suspicion: the handle on the smaller pallet was broken. I should have figured that out when I found the larger pallet handle was bended 45 degree. Now, I am trying to find a suitable epoxy to make a new pin for the smaller pallet. If that does not work, I will disable the smaller pallet so I will still have the low range of 1 to 1/4 and the more commonly used high range of 1/60 to 1/300.

Nickon51
Tinkerer

Post Number: 149

Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck with that one.
I don't have that shutter in bits any more, otherwise I would have a closer look.
I have another Prontor SVS here from a Rollop TLR. The escapment doesn't have a small pallett only the large one. So its either timed with the large pallet or free runs.
Cheers

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 176

Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

During the production period of the Prontor-SVS size 00 there seems to have been a change in the Speed Setting Ring. In the older ones the Small Lever (pallet) worked in speed settings 1/15 and 1/30. In the newer ones that changed to 1/8, 1/15 and 1/30.

This information is from a Gauthier shutters repair book.

Wonloo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, make a little handle by using the aluminum door of a floppy disk and epoxy for metal.

pic2

It seems to be working. Now moving on to the self-timer. Whoever worked on or owned this camera didn't treat it well.

Thanks again for your information and help. I may need more.

Wonloo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 46

Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are the high speeds that I got:

1/60 - 18 ms
1/125 - 9 ms
1/300 - 4 ms

now the middle range is off:

1/30 - 20 ms
1/15 - 55 ms
1/8 - 100 ms

still usable.

And, the self-timer is working again.

Lots of fun on this five dollar Balda Super Baldina 35.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 177

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done Wonloo, you surely know how to improvise !

Nickon51
Tinkerer

Post Number: 151

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done. Thats a good repair of an otherwise junk camera.
The free run speeds are very close to spec, the small pallett controlled speeds are faster than they should be but still within spec. The worst is 1/30th but that is still within 1/2 stop.
If you really were a purist and glutton for punishment, you could try adjusting (very slightly) the depth of engagement of the small pallett. The deeper the gear engagement, the slower the speed. (I think) and vice versa.
Most people, including me, would say thats a job well done.
Cheers
Greg
PS Hans, thanks for the info on the controls.

Wonloo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The speed ring plate had already been worked on before. Luckily, the 1/8 -1/30 are faster, it is easier to file the notch in than to push it out. I will exercise the shutter some more and wait for the new mesh to settle first before I work on the speed ring.

Again, thanks for the information.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration