Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F-1n shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon F-1n shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Takewhatucan
Tinkerer
Username: Takewhatucan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,
I recently got a new F-1 and was really excited to use it because of its combined elctronic and mechanical shutter speeds. I had been looking for an slr that would work without a battery. However, particular camera will not function without the battery. I am using the AE finder (dont know if that matters). I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if anyone knows how to correct it. I already took it to a camera repair shop and they returned it to me because they couldnt get parts for it.
Thank you

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 161

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you saying that the camera works fine electrically but does not work on mechanical mode when the battery is removed? There is a common issue on the shutter jamming but before getting into that, I just want to clarify what the symptoms might be.
Bill

Takewhatucan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes that is absolutely correct. The camera works fine with the battery and nothing works without the battery.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 162

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first thing I would check would be the mechanical release adjustment eccentric. Located under the bottom cover adjacent to the tripod socket mount bracket (rewind side of the bracket) this eccentric adjusts for release stroke. Shutter should release when button is pressed 1.4mm. If you don't want to be probing in your camera, any camera repair shop that knows the F-1 could handle this easily, would not need any parts replacement if this is the case!
Bill

Takewhatucan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you bill! I'm beginning to suspect that this repair shop didn't even try to fix my camera. I will be looking for a new shop. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration