Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon IIF Slow Speed Dial Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon IIF Slow Speed Dial « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gouranga
Tinkerer
Username: Gouranga

Post Number: 24

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 06:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey,

I recently picked up a canon iif, with a few problems. The top speed 1/500, doesnt open the shutter at all. Also, all slow speeds (on the dial), act as bulb.

Im trying to get the slow speed dial off to get into the guts of the camera. However, some old 'repairman' messed up the threads. I cant figured out what bit is meant to come off first as its so messed up..

So, which part unscrews first? To me it looks like there is three separate parts. The silver dial, and 2 inner brass ones. Which one comes out first, and how is it meant to come out? Where the screw is, I can see another slot thread but it doesnt seem to turn,

Any help appeciated!

-gouranga

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 71

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a set-screw hidden in the knurls. Loosen it, and then unscrew the knurled knob CCW. This will expose the screw that holds the rest of the knob to the cam inside the camera.

Oh yeah, there is a retaining ring there too. That's a spanner that holds the skirt in place, or something like that.

Sounds like the shutter needs a full CLA.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, March 30, 2012 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info John (I see you've posted to an earlier request of mine too). I can see the small set screw and this looks very, very much like a IIIa. I'm "going in" this evening. I need to get into one of my Petri Color 35s tonight too (another nice camera).

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I'm stuck. Literally.

I see what must be the retaining ring. Looks like I need a spanner to turn it. Its not turning. I would like to know if this goes CW or CCW before exerting pressure. I've already chewed the slots. Err.

CW or CCW? Thanks very much!

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm clearly missing something. The brass retaining ring mentioned above will not turn. I have really messed it up giving force both CW and CCW. It looks all the world like it should turn CCW, but it will not move. What am I missing? I hope someone out there has removed the slow speed dial from a Canon IIF. I knew this would be my trouble spot on this camera. Everything else is straightforward, but you have to remove the dang slow speed dial to get to everything else! Please help.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need a parts Canon IIF with intact slow speed dial. The retaining ring on my last camera was completely frozen in place and is now destroyed. I need a new slow speed assembly. Any parts out there? This is extremely frustrating as I paid too much for this camera to begin with. Not a good week.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hopefully someone can still help me here.
My Canon IIF slow speed dial with knurled cap removed
Here's a photo of my slow speed dial. It seems to be different than any other Canon IIF slow speed dial out there. I completely mangled the ring that used to have slots for a spanner. It did not move and is made of soft brass. I need to know if this ring is threaded on the central brass post, the dial skirt, or both. And of course I'm searching for a new ring which must be from a different model. Does anyone know which Canon model this looks like? III? IV?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration