Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord II Computer Shutter escape... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleicord II Computer Shutter escapement repair help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paradoxbox
Tinkerer
Username: Paradoxbox

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about the thread title typo.

Hi all, new to the site and new to camera repairs in general.

I picked up an old Rolleicord II with a non functioning compur shutter but otherwise in decent cosmetic condition and it came with a case.

I opened up the shutter and was able to get it to start firing but the times were all wrong.

After a little examination I discovered that the long coil of metal in the shutter escapement was broken.

It looks like I can salvage it simply by soldering/gluing/welding it back on to its spindle. But I don't know what tension it's supposed to be at.

There is also a little lever on the escapement that moves in and out whenever the shutter is triggered at medium/slow speeds - there's a spring controlling the force, with slots cut out to allow for varying spring resistance levels, how strong should the force be on that spring?

Anyway, most importantly, how can I reset the main escapement spring's tension? How tightly should it be coiled?

Here is a link to someone else's photograph who had the same problem as me. The broken spring looks like a solid brass disk in this picture - it's actually a thin strip of metal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb2qqm/5957808769/

Any help appreciated, I'd like to get going with this camera!

Paradoxbox
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a clearer photo. The part that's broken is above the gear he's indicated in this photo.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4773528712_0e9e6c620d_b.jpg

Any ideas on how to reset the tension on that?

T6nn
Tinkerer
Username: T6nn

Post Number: 27

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The tension of that hairspring should be just enough to return the gears back to the initial position. It doesn't have much to do with the timing, witch is mostly adjusted by the slight repositioning of the escapement itself inside the shutter.

All the repair manuals generallly don't recommend any repair attempts on these small escapements, but if you succeed soldering the spring together, try gradually increasing the tension, until the gears start returning reliably.

About repairing that spring: maybe a search in some wachmakers forum will give you a better answer?

Paradoxbox
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your kind reply.

I have seen other people mention watchmakers so I think I'll see if I can find someone who's up to the task.

Otherwise I might try to make it myself - it looks to just be a piece of copper around 2 inches long.

I'm a little unsure as to how it's supposed to be fastened actually. Solder the inside of the coil to the gear post, solder the other end of the coil to..?

Perhaps there's an easier "hack" to do the same job of the spring but without actually using that spring at all..?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 163

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have no luck with fabricating and installing a new spring (may not be a trivial task, depending on your skill level!) I do have many new old stock Compur parts including escapements available. You can PM me for info.
Thanks.
Bill

Paradoxbox
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bill, check your PM box. It would be a lot easier to just swap out the old escapement which was pretty rough anyway, for a new one.

James

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration