Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need Leica M2 M3 Parts Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Need Leica M2 M3 Parts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eskimogus
Tinkerer
Username: Eskimogus

Post Number: 31

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wanting to convert my Leica MD to a M2 or M3.
Any parts for one or parts bodys anybody?

Email me here
[email protected]

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 981

Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I may be wrong but the only MD chassis I have seen were specific to the MD (however these were a special order series for attachment to specific analytical apparatus), so would also require machining to convert. It would be cheaper and more realistic to sell the MD and purchase a good M2 or M3.

Eskimogus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it?
I'm looking inside through the lens mount and see holes for hardware and the rangefinder arm.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 166

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Glenn in that this conversion on an MD would not be economically feasible. Not only would you need a top cover and complete rangefinder assembly (two of the most costly parts), but you would also need the parts on the body shell that tell the rangefinder what frame finder marks need to be used for the particular focal length lens that is installed.So you might have to add a body shell to the list!

Eskimogus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Waaaaaa,
Guess i'll sell it or try to trade someone for it.
Lol
I saw that it'll be $$$ anyways, Almost bought a M3 without the shell and bottom door, and a few accessories like a Rewind lever, etc etc. It was going to cost another $300 for it. I see that'll be the same or more for the MD. We will see

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are not the first to consider this. The other posters are correct. Cheaper to buy an ugly M2 or M3 and go from there. Problem is: people think their trashed M2 is worth a fortune!

Eskimogus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's so true!
well we will see.
I'm going to try and find cheap parts,
and try to trade the MD for a UGLY M2 or something.
The MD is rare, so there are collectors for it.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 985

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You approaching this from the wrong perspective. Get yourself a Visoflex 11 and some lenses to fit same and get close up to nature - I always use the MD on this set up. If you are stuck for genuine Leitz glass, there are plenty of very good pre-set teles out there that can be simply modified to fit the focusing units - some with very basic kitchen table type surgery! A very good alternative is to use a set of Novoflex bellows with suitable Novoflex adapter mounts or the Novoflex series of follow focus telephoto lenses.

If you are collecting rangefinder spares with a view to constructing a special, be aware that the M3 type rangefinder is of different 'construction' to the one in the M2 and subsequent models.

Eskimogus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 35

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If i go with a Visoflex, i wouldn't have a compact camera anymore. Don't think i'll want to carry the MD with the Visoflex and some lenses. For me it isn't practical.

I was noticing that, M3s are different from M2s and newer and older are different.I'm just going to take it slow and see if i can find anything for cheap, i really don't have any $$ in the MD. I traded it for a IIIf, which i traded for some 4x5 i had laying around. I'm just thinking, what if i get a M3 top, It's different than the M2. M2s and MDs have the frame counter around the shutter release, a metal disc. the M3 has it under the top , which can be seen from a glass window. Think i'll snag a problem if i find a cheap M3 top?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration