Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon IIF film advance can turn backw... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon IIF film advance can turn backwards « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have a Canon IIF that is in wonderful condition. I have always wanted an early Canon RF.

My problem: When I advance film, the knob turns until one frame of film is wound on, just like its supposed to. But, I can turn the knob backward too. My other Leica-like cameras (e.g., Zorki C) only allow the knob to turn one direction.

So, there is a mechanism somewhere to keep the film advance knob from turning backward. Where is that located? I'm moderately proficient at
camera repairs -- used to frequent this site often. I just prefer to know where my problem is before I "open her up" and I don't have a good manual/description of the film advance mechanism for Leica-like (and Leica) cameras.

Thanks very much!

Jeff.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1188

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

going from my leica notes, i assume the canon is the same: under the top plate, at the top of the takeup spool, there is a gear... there is a one-tooth dog that engages this gear to keep it from turning backwards. the dog is moved in and out of mesh with the gear by a little spring wire that fits into a slot in the dog. it is easy for this wire to come out of its slot on disassembly, and easy to forget if you're not looking for it when you put it back together.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1189

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It just occurred to me that I should have been clearer: you do not reach this thing by removing the top cover ..... you slide the body shell off and reach it from below.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

Thanks. I found your notes on Leica disassembly and I can see where the dog should be located when I look into the camera. Now, I'm wondering if my Canon IIF is more like a Leica IIIA or IIIC/F. It looks like an easy task to slide off the body, but that slow speed dial on the front scares me. I think the Leica IIIF you don't have to take it off, but the IIIA you do...and of course, this is a Canon IIF. It could be different yet, but I doubt it.

Thanks again. Any tips on how that slow speed dial is going to affect me?

Jeff.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 1190

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a IIF but I haven't taken it apart. The earlier Canons were more like the IIIA than the IIIC.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 69

Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's more like a IIIa indeed. I think there's a set-screw in the knurl of the low speed knob. Loosen, then unscrew. Now you can remove the screw that holds on the knob and skirt. Now you can remove the three screws that hold the base on, and proceed to remove the other three screws, the ones on the side of the top, and the lens mount, and slide off the shell.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration