Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon new FD 35mm f2 focus ring stiff Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon new FD 35mm f2 focus ring stiff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kev777zero
Tinkerer
Username: Kev777zero

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a new FD 35mm f2 lens the other day for a decent price. The lens barrel showed signs of wear, but the optics were basically perfect. However I noticed the focus ring to be a little looser than my other new FD lenses and also a bit stiff when I turn it back and forth. Overall it's less smooth.
So I e-mail the seller and the person told me that it has laid in the closet for a long time and that it should become smoother as I focus it back and forth. I was wondering if that was true or are there any other ways I can fix it?
I can still focus it normally it's just that I need to apply more force to overcome the stiffness. A little bump is felt as I pass the 0.4m focus distance mark as well. I really like the lens overall but I'm not sure if I can put up with it if I used it for an entire day (which I might not do anyways since I have many other lenses to use)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 30

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2012 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the grease has congealed and/or is unevenly distributed in the focus helical. Maybe if you let the lens sit someplace warm for a while and then turn the focus ring back and forth, the grease in the focus helical will loosen up and migrate into the areas where the focus is rougher. But I wouldn't count on it. Best bet is to disassemble, clean and relube.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration