Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM1 shutter curtain problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » OM1 shutter curtain problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Livestn
Tinkerer
Username: Livestn

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2012 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I have an OM1 and when I took the pictures the lower left corner of the picture was never exposed. The shutter speed when that happen is anything faster than 1/125 sec and I have discovered that it is from one of the curtains didn't retract soon enough. The weird thing is when I flip the mirror up and take the pictures all seems fine. I don't think it's the mirror because the problem area is at an angle and not straight across.
I did take apart the shutter speed ring put it back with aligement with the gear in the buttom. and I tested it by seeing if I can shoot bulb, 1sec and 1/1000 sec.

Please help, I love this camera and would like to use it more.

attach are some of my problem pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

R_a_feldman
Tinkerer
Username: R_a_feldman

Post Number: 23

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it _IS_ the mirror. The mirror would shade a straight horizontal area only at speeds of 1/60 and slower, when the curtain is fully open. At faster speeds the curtain opening is a moving slit, so the mirror has time to move out of the way by the time the slit makes it to the center of the image. I no longer have my OM-1, but if you check, you should find that the shutter moves from what is image-left to image-right. The mirror uncovers the top of the image first (remember, the image is upside down), so that part gets exposed.

You might also have problems with the shutter (shutter tapering). I had an early OM-1 that developed that problem a few years ago.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration