Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon rangefinder slow speed dial ide... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon rangefinder slow speed dial identity « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The photo shows my slow speed dial on a Canon IIF with the knurled top cap removed. You can see a badly chewed brass ring between the hollow center post (brass with a screw assembly in it) and the outer rim of the dial skirt.
Slow speed asssembly without knurled cap
I have tried to find a new ring so I can repair this (so far DAG Camera Parts is only place), but he offers slow speed centers for IIF that look different than mine.

My question: Does my slow speed assembly look more like an older or later model (e.g., IID or IVsb)? If so, I'd order parts for that model instead.

Also, does anyone know if the brass ring (which I assume retains the dial skirt) is threaded on the skirt as well as the center post? Would help to know this.

Thanks everyone.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 146

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

H: If the recall button works, the remnants you see should have two or four slots that would be used to adjust the slow speeds governor & has a ramp on the other side. I believe you would lossen the center screw & turn that spanner ring to set the slow speeds & then tighten the screw to secure it. Maybe some one else could verify this, please.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 13

Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almost. I have removed the center screw to reveal another "screw" underneath that is hollow and accepts the screw just removed. This hollow screw is actually a plug that moves up and down in the brass center and adjusts the slow speeds. Then you re-insert the center screw to fix the adjustment in place.

The chewed up ring just holds the skirt in place. I needed to remove the skirt to get at a screw that holds the body on the camera.

Needed to remove the body to get at the film advance knob and replace the little spring that keeps it from turning backwards.

Other than this slow speed assembly, the camera is a dead ringer for a Leica IIIa.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration