Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Film advance/shutter button stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Film advance/shutter button stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

E2732m
Tinkerer
Username: E2732m

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let me preface this with saying that I don't have a huge amount of experience with these cameras but I really want it to work!
The camera is a Chinon CM-3. I recently bought it and have no knowledge of its working condition.
Without film in but with batteries the film advance lever only moves 1/2 the distance it should. The shutter button goes down but no photo click happens. Then if I press the film rewind-unlock button under the camera once, I can then move fully the film advance lever, and then "take a photo" using the shutter button. All that seems quite normal.
Now today I tried to load film in. I have checked many times if I have done it right, and all seems fine. The problem here is that the film advance lever is only moving halfway, and when I do the trick of using the unlock button at the bottom of the camera the lever is able to move freely but the film winding spool does not rotate....
Hope this is not too unclear.The indicator window is not showing that any film is loaded, just the red S.
Not really sure what to do at this point, but I'd love to at least generally diagnose the problem.
Thank you!!

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 136

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diagnosis: it is not working. Also known as: it is jammed. Recommendation: try to fix it with recommendation from other forum users. You have nothing to lose because Chinons are almost worthless (but that is not to say they are not good cameras).

E2732m
Tinkerer
Username: E2732m

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ope! after a lot of observation and web-search etc, found the culprit was simply a screw that had come loose in the film pulling mechanism that was blocking it from turning. :-)
Thanks for the reply though!

Caitmcd
Tinkerer
Username: Caitmcd

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi E2732m, I'm having the exact same problem. I've checked all the screw that I feel safe accessing, could you tell me which one it was and how to find it?
I'm a newbie to the classic camera, but I so want my Chinon to work after hearing such good things!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration