Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD11 prism removal, cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minolta XD11 prism removal, cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tomw
Tinkerer
Username: Tomw

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2012 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought an XD11 that functions very well. The focusing screen is very clean - when I look through the viewfinder, the image is very clear and bright. If I hold the camera away from my eye several inches and look through the viewfinder, there is a series of vertical brown smudges down the middle. My guess is that something is collected on the central top edge of the prism. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can the prism be removed and cleaned? Is it worth the trouble?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 277

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2012 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whether it's worth the trouble or not is up to you. You're going to have to remove the top cover and the flex circuit board to get to the prism. Personally, I'd pass until/unless it has worse problems than you describe. I have an XE-7 that has a prism with the slightest bit of desilvering around the bottom edge of the image and even though I have a replacement at hand, I'm leaving it alone until it gets worse.

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 30

Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

luckily XD-11 is different. You can clean the prism without removing the top cover. Remove lense and u will find a small half circular plate on top held in place by 2 small screws. Open these scres and remove plate. You will now sa tounguw which is extension of the groundglass. Carefully remove the ground glass and with a lense cleaning brush you should be able to clean the prism. But make sure you will proably make llose some old sponge which will spill allover the prsim.
Please let me know if you hv he problem and I will send u necessary insuctions from manual.

Tomw
Tinkerer
Username: Tomw

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the responses! If it is desilvering, as you've suggested, it sounds like it would require replacement not cleaning. As I have no backup, I've decided to leave it be for the time being. If it gets worse, I'll track down a parts camera and take it from there. Thanks again!

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 279

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thepurush is right that the screen is removable on the XD-11, which will give you access to the part of the prism that faces said screen. If the mess is there, it's not a big deal to clean it at all. Depends on what those "smudges" you see really are. If they're on the screen not the prism, take care in how you clean it, replacement XD screens are very hard to find.

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you atttempt to clean prism as i said above, I would advise you to first remove focus screen then keep camera bottom up/prism down position and cover the prism surface with a soft tisue paper, then examine first if thre is any loose sponge around the prism. get rid of all this sponge before you clean screen. Else you might endup with loose sponge all over prism which is more difficult to get rid of.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration