Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

ZM-6A 500mm/6.3 lens diagram Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » ZM-6A 500mm/6.3 lens diagram « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Betlog
Tinkerer
Username: Betlog

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wanted: people experienced with, owners of similar ZM lenses (ZM-5A, ZM-6A), or lens diagrams. To help me determine if my lens is performing and assembled correctly.

I have a (3M)ZM-6A 500mm/6.3 catadioptric lens that takes photos that seem to have absolutely no focus.
Not just very slim DOF, but virtually NO part of the field that is actually focused.
I have heard that some ZM lenses rear element groups have been incorrectly assembled, so perhaps the issue is as simple as that.
I have attempted trial-and-error to go through each of the combinations represented by two elements and one spacer in the relatively few combinations of orientation...but unless I missed something (possible) what I have right now is as good as it gets. However I cannot believe it could actually be this bad.

Can anyone advise?

Here is todays quick-comparison shots, note the absence of an apparent focal plane and that even where *some* focus should be seen the ZM clarity sucks, even compared to the damaged-mirror Sigma.
http://oh-hi.info/tech/Compare_Tamron-500mmf8-55BB_ZM-6A-500mmf6.3_Sigma-600mmf8 -2048px.jpg

Betlog
Tinkerer
Username: Betlog

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Answered my own question:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/10494981@N00/discuss/72157629758572451/

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1205

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice job, and great information! I'll be interested to hear whatever additional detail you get around to adding to your account.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 75

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2012 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd say that rear ring should have the smooth side against the mirror glass, not the three nubbins. The nubbins would definitely deform it!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration