Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Eastman Kodak - Stereo Kodak Model 1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Eastman Kodak - Stereo Kodak Model 1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pip
Tinkerer
Username: Pip

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

I have a Stereo Kodak Model 1 kamera and the condition is not so good. The worst part is the leather so i wonder if anyone know where i can get new leather for this camera and how to preapare it with the lines so it looks original.

The camera is the same as this one: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NJvfvguHnRw/Tph3HV4O0bI/AAAAAAAAAec/TsVFw3hi-hU/s1600/ stereo+kodak+model+1+ebay20111014.jpg

Regards Paul
Norway

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 223

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 05:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As a personal observation of no practical use to you, I would leave the camera as it is. To judge from the photo', the covering is not that bad, especially considering the age of it. I would dress it up using shoe polish or similar, and keep the beastie authentic.

Pip
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok.. my bad. :-) The image link is not my camera. I can upload some images so you can se the condition the one i have:

As you can se the condition is not good. So i feel that i have two choices. Restore it or use it as a spare part camera.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 224

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The covering looks the same as ordinary Kodak folding cameras of the period, although you may find that you will have to use more that one to get sufficient suitable material. Or, if the bellows are fine and it is a spare, I might be interested in having it from you for the right price/exchange deal.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 282

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, I don't know of anyone who specializes in leather for old Kodak folders. I'd think you will just have to get something close, in a large piece, and cut your own. And the formed pieces on the top and bottom will be hard to duplicate.

In Tomosy's "Restoring Classic and Collectible Cameras" (available at Micro-Tools http://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx ), he shows the stripdown of an Autographic model which is similar in design to your stereo, but not how he recovered it. I've got a couple of the Autographics myself that need recovering, but was thinking of just painting them instead.

PF

Pip
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thnx Barnum and Br1078lum. I have some ideas. I guess i have to get in touch with some local people who have experience in leather craft and in that way try to replicate the cover leather. I have also found a local business who can do the "crome" details. So first of all i will take allot of close up images of every detail befor i strip it down. My goal is to restore it so it looks almost brand new. I will keep you updateded on the project. ;)

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 72

Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A 3A Folding Pocket Kodak might be a good source of large chunks of leather. Plus the hole on the back is near the edge. With a lousy lens, they aren't worth much -- just need to find a true auction.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration