Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Loose Focus Ring on 80-200 nikkor 4.5... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Loose Focus Ring on 80-200 nikkor 4.5 MF AI « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Garyflorida
Tinkerer
Username: Garyflorida

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a 80-200 nikkor AI on ebay and it looks brand new but the zoom/focus ring is extremely loose. If I tip the lens even 20 degrees it starts to slide and there is noticeable play. It focuses fine and zooms fine but so loose.

Is there a way to take the focus ring off and tighten a screw or see what is diminished and repair it?

Thanks anybody who can help.

Gary

Thiago
Tinkerer
Username: Thiago

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First unscrew a de front element, pass vaseline in the focusing screw. It make will focusing smooth. And zoom, i figure that you can make the same thing, but you'll need to disassembly more than front element.

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 219

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, it's pretty much a pita dismantling a zoom to correct a slippage problem. Be aware that the old Nikkor 80-200mm f/4.5 is well known for being probably the very worst lens around when it comes to zoom collar slippage. It doesn't really affect the performance of the lens, just the activities of the lens's owner. I have one of these lenses and its zoom collar is so loose it's a joke. It is a great old zoom, though, and I just put up with it.

When I have to take a shot with my hand removed from the lens, I use a wide rubber band around the barrel and the lip of the zoom collar to prevent it from moving. I have seen specially made rubber rings that are intended for just this purpose for sale on eBay before.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration