Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minlota Rokker 50mm 1.4 fungus on fro... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Minlota Rokker 50mm 1.4 fungus on front element. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 31

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta 50mm 1.4 lense salvaged from my XD-7. I have just tried it on my NEX-5 and am very disappointed with results. I discoverd the fungus as well as some thing like fog on the front element but on the inside surface. Prabably the other element of the front group too might be having fungus. I do have experience in repairing cameras and cleaning lenses but never came across such a situation. Can any one help please? How do i seperae these elements and waht problems i might experience in restoring the lense.

Thanks in advance.

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In French, but pictures are enough to go by:

http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/rep/MD50.html

Best regards,

/Clay

Clay
Tinkerer
Username: Clay

Post Number: 49

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a 58mm f1.4 :

http://mpf77.tripod.com/minolta_58mm.htm

Best regards,

/Clay

Thepurush
Tinkerer
Username: Thepurush

Post Number: 32

Posted on Friday, April 13, 2012 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks very much Mr Clay for the help. As I have said I have experince in dismantling some lenses including this. I forgot to mention clearly what help I wanted. It is about accessing the inner surfce of the front element group which appear to be totally sealed. In the pages you provided too it is mentioned that thre is no need for further dismantling unless thre is fungus. But THIS is the case with my lense. I need to dismantle this:

http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/rep/Minolta_50_1,4/05.JPG

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 286

Posted on Friday, April 13, 2012 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seperating lens elements is not an easy or inexpensive matter. You need special jigs and alignment testing gear to make sure they go back together properly. Cheaper to get another lens.

PF

Dcshooter
Tinkerer
Username: Dcshooter

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, April 13, 2012 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe there is air between the elements and that they will thread in and out but are fixed with threadlocker. I think this was a common practice for the later Rokkor primes.

You might want to try acetone to loosen the threadlocker. Be careful about getting it on the glass though, as it can get between cemented elements and cause them to separate. Apply it lightly to the threadlocker only, and whatever you do, don't douse it or submerge it.

Definitely worth a try if you are otherwise simply going to toss it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration