Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss MK II distagons - loose focus ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Zeiss MK II distagons - loose focus ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gregg_macpherson
Tinkerer
Username: Gregg_macpherson

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just realized that these lenses were made in the 80s I think so may be not a legitimate subject. But some of the classic lens repair guys will have worked on these, so here goes.

I'm looking at some (S16) Zeiss MK II distagons. Ex German TV, quite cheap, optically quite clean and looking good through the viewfinder and hitting the focus marks. But on a couple of them there is some mechanical wear or loosness in the focus ring or what I assume are cams inside. I will show them to a good lens tech in a few days, but I'm really curious to get some ideas about it.

The 12mm has what feels to the fingers like a fraction of a mm backlash in the focus ring. The little thud that you feel at either end of this is quite distict. The grease is fairly viscous so it's hard to tell if there is inertia involved or not. Like maybe something heavy is being rotated over that fraction of a degree.

The 25mm has what feels like a very loose focus ring. If you look at the edge of the focus ring you see almost a mm of completely free backlash in the focus movement (about 3/4 of a degree). You can wiggle the focus ring about the vertical and horizontal axis so you see over a mm of movement at the edge (a bit over a degree)

Both these lenses look fine through the viewfinder while working the focus ring. You could actually use them just like that.

Any thoughts? Cheers,
Gregg.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration