Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Can't Remove Zenit 12S Top Cover/ Shu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Can't Remove Zenit 12S Top Cover/ Shutter Button Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnsalomon
Tinkerer
Username: Johnsalomon

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there,

I have a Zenit 12S, where the housing for the shutter button came loose - the shutter button, and both the exterior and film rewind sleeves are now detached.

Here's a picture (stolen from Tom Tiger's page) of what's below:

http://i.imgur.com/ipxoS.png

(1) is the actual shutter button that the shutter lever (just above the red ring) is supposed to push down on.

(2) is the disc that the rewind sleeve is supposed to press down on. That disc has now risen above the level of the shutter button (1) so I can't trigger the shutter anymore. It rotates, but it won't go down.

I've been trying for hours to open the top section, but I cannot seem to remove the rewind button top plate of this thing and it's driving me nuts. I've been looking through repair manuals and schematics - all the references I can find is that you need a "special tool" - but I've already scratched the plate and don't want to damage it any more.

I've been using a corkscrew (the only thing with a pointy tip small enough to fit in the two holes on the plate - but when I manage to actually turn the plate (clockwise, as per Tom Tiger's instructions), all it does is wind the film spring, and only as far as I normally could by pulling the winding lever. I have to get this thing off, to get at the screw underneath.

Can someone give me a tip? What am I missing?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration