Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 Change in shutter speed ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canonet QL17 Change in shutter speed doesn't change aperture in A mode « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cashonly
Tinkerer
Username: Cashonly

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canonet QL17 G-III. It appears that in A mode the shutter speed ring has no effect on the aperture reading. The needle in the viewfinder will show, for example, F4 at 1/500 and 1/4 and all speeds in between. I'm new to rangefinders, but as I understand it the QL17 is shutter speed priority, right? So changing the shutter speed should affect the automatically selected aperture, right?

Changing the ASA does change the meter reading as expected. The shutter speed ring acts as expected in manual mode. When the Canolite D is attached the focus ring also affects the meter reading.

I've searched this site and elsewhere, but can't find anything relating to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 147

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check the Repair manuals section at the top of the page for more information on your camera. The iris should stop down if the meter is activated as the needle swings there is a step clamp that allows for the variance in diameter. Check your energy cell & contacts too. If meter swings free than either the clamp mechanism or the iris ring is gummy & inop. or blades are oiled.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 64

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I might be preaching to the choir here, but the aperture doesn't change until the shutter is tensioned on the QL-17.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration