Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pressure plate clip fall off (Oly 35)... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pressure plate clip fall off (Oly 35) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cafeconleche
Tinkerer
Username: Cafeconleche

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was replacing the light seal on an Olympus 35RD. Everything was done, and I was putting back the pressure plate. Suddenly, the clip that holds the pressure plate falls off as I was trying to clip it on.

Any idea or suggestion on how to fix this? Seems like it was arc welded on the door before painted, I am confortable doing some touch up paint, but how can I get the clip back on it and able hold the plate?

pressure plate clip

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 987

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a simple way to get the camera usable - attach the pressure plate with two rectangles of double sided adhesive foam strip. You will have to do a bit of experimentation to get the correct thickness and pressure, but here in UK the small rectangles of red foam used by the suppliers of sheet glass/seal units or toughened sheet work well for me. Use this method on a number of modified cameras I have constructed.

Cafeconleche
Tinkerer
Username: Cafeconleche

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just want to share, that I got this fixed using epoxy. It was suggested by someone from another forum, to use JB Weld. The good thing about this epoxy that it takes 4hr to set, so I got plenty of time to do my trial and error, it can be easily wiped clean with lighter fluid before it's set, then try again. After about 5 trials, I finally got it in the right place with the right amount of epoxy. Wait over night for it to cure, now it's holding strong. After about 20 hours of curing, I put the pressure plate back on, it's like nothing ever happened.

fixed

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration