Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE shutter hanging Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FE shutter hanging « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikecl
Tinkerer
Username: Mikecl

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Used it last week a few times then went to use it today.. first thing I noticed is after taking the picture and advancing I'd hear the shutter again.. then the advance lever would get stuck..

long story short I narrowed it down to the shutter blades I think are getting hung up.. If I push them so it opens fully it will close on it's own.. Then the problem happens again in a few more cycles.

What's the best to clean them with? I think I ran out of electronic cleaner so anything else I can use?

Mikecl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a youtube video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdBCPUGydTM&feature=youtu.be

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1209

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2012 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think it's related to the blades. The self-firing suggests that the shutter is not latching into the cocked position when you wind it. Possibilities that come to mind are the winding linkage and the release electromagnets. If the winding linkage is dirty, it might prevent the shutter from latching when you wind it; a dirty electromagnet might fail to hold the curtain. I'm not sure if the FE uses an electromagnet to hold the first curtain back, or just the second curtain.

A good cleaner is cigarette lighter fluid (Zippo, Ronsonol, Red Devil etc)

Mikecl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2012 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You say about the electromagnet but it happens without the battery in the camera as well. Not sure where the winding linkage is on this camera everything else works fine it's just this shutter issue that is the issue.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 39

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2012 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Weird problem. I have an FE and dealt with winding linkage several years ago. I don't remember well, but the linkage is under the bottom plate. I would start there. Nice thing is it's easy to remove.

Good luck.

Mikecl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've cycled it many of times but I can't see anything wrong. Then I did about 50 cycles without a hangup then it just appeared again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration