Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contaflex: Very stiff focusing ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Contaflex: Very stiff focusing ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thol
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 28

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some years ago I met an old fellow who had been a watchmaker. He had taken up camera repair in his retirement and offered to CLA my Zeiss Contina II and my Contaflex. The Contina came out very nicely indeed. But the Contaflex seemed to have a rather stiff focusing ring. I accepted it thinking that a bit of use would loosen it up. It didn't. And now, years later, it is so stiff that it barely moves without a struggle.

Any suggestions. It seems to me that he may have used the wrong lubricant when perhaps he should have used non at all. Long after I had paid him, the camera slow speed settings were sluggish when the winter temperatures settled upon us. I should have pursued the matter with him, but I was overcome by more pressing issues at the time.

I dare not do any radical DIY with this camera cuz I just know it would defeat me. Could I try putting a tiny bit of alcohol around the ring and see if it may free up any coagulated grease he may have used on the helical threads?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 165

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you are referring to the Contaflex I with the fixed lens.
I had an example with a very stiff focus as well. I had removed the front element for servicing and had a difficult time putting it back in place. Afterwards, the focus was much stiffer than before the disassembly. The helical threads are very fine and may be damaged easily. I lubricated properly, but no matter what I did, it seemed that the focus was going to be stiff. I think the threads may have been damaged (by myself or a previous owner), although I couldn't see anything obvious. That may be the case with yours.
I have perfomed the same service on the Contaflex I have now, and the focus is fine.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration