Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya RB67 90mm Leaf Shutter pin pri... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Mamiya RB67 90mm Leaf Shutter pin prick holes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kb2qqm
Tinkerer
Username: Kb2qqm

Post Number: 32

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone,

I am scratching my head on this one. I have a 90mm RB67 lens that I have torn apart to rebuild. I have done 3 of these lenses and shutters with no problems. This new one has a 2 pinholes on one of the metal shutter leaves. Does anyone have any ideas other than tearing down the the shutter and swapping the leaf out, for patching the hole. A friend mentioned to me to use a pinprick of JB Weld, while compressing from the other side with wax paper.

I thought of micro soldering to plug the hole.

I also might patch it with that really thin self stick aluminum metal tape.

I might even just use some thick super glue and quick bond agent to freeze it in place and then color it with a permanent black marker.

Anyone have any other ideas, for this predicament?

I do have another lens I can swap out the blade, but wanted to keep the shutter intact if I can.

check out the photos.

Thanks. Gregph 1ph2

T6nn
Tinkerer
Username: T6nn

Post Number: 30

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mix some lamp black with household epoxy (before adding the hardener?)
I would be wary of soldering, since I dont know exactly what the blades are made of and what they are coated with.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 172

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the two pin holes are at the two o'clock position in the photo, it looks like there is some sort of abrasion on the blade. I would find out what that is and what caused the pinholes (not common to find pinholes on shutter blades). Can't quite tell from the photo but it looks like one of the blades has collided with another blade and is bent/cut. Since you are doing service on the shutter, why not just remove the mechanism plate and install a new blade or two? Patching up the blade really is not a clean way to go!
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration