Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens storage Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Lens storage « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter_nap
Tinkerer
Username: Peter_nap

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first post here was about repairing a Nikkor 28mm lens that the diaphragm was stuck on. I was able to fix it thanks to all.

My question is should these old manual lenses be stored objective lens down to keep oil from the vanes?

Thanks again!

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 270

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2012 - 03:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Generally long time storage, if any preference was to be made, should be standing upright, so that any lubricants from the lens barrel, the helicoid, etc., shall they migrate, would migrate along the barrel and not onto the lens elements.

Whether mount side up or front element side up is a harder thing, but I'd say for prime lenses, especially large aperture ones, the preferred position would be front-element down. The reason would be, that the front element is usually easier to access for cleaning, should any lubricant migrate onto it. Also, the lens helicoid is most often open towards front, so migrating lubricant has a preferred way out of the lens.
Exception: (ultra)-wide-angle lenses. Lenses that have front element much larger than the entry pupil, these have usually front element that's hard to remove and is quite critical in the assembly.

Now, that all is like: IF there was any difference I could think of, these would come to mind. I store my old lenses upright to save space and which way do I put them depends on which way are they more stable. Most important is to put lens caps on both ends...

Marek

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 128

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2012 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never cared about the position a lens is stored in as much as the conditions: dry and constant temperature. If the grease is migrating than the grease has gone bad and the lens is in need of an overhaul.

More often than not, though, I store 35 and MF lenses with the mount up... but that is because that's how they it in the camera bag best. LF lenses are generally stored on their side for a very similar reason.

Peter_nap
Tinkerer
Username: Peter_nap

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2012 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Guys!
I never gave it much thought until I started buying a lot of old lenses and realized just how many had stuck apertures.

I have nearly a dozen now to take apart and clean.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 271

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brian,

"If the grease is migrating than the grease has gone bad and the lens is in need of an overhaul."

This is not entirely right.
Grease is oil suspended in an "oil carrier". While separation is a sign of aging, some oil is going to get released way before the grease ages beyond its desired properties. Especially the older lubricants, often of natural origin, are prone to this.

Of course, an overhaul is preferred solution, especially that very old grease will stick badly.

Marek

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 129

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, of course. I was using common terms and didn't think it necessary to get into that level of details. It's like talking about a vinagrette salad dressing, which most people understand, versus calling the same an "emulsion of oil and vinegar with some flavorants being held in suspension"... which it is but not everyone understands.

The bottom line is that when the grease separates to the point where it contaminates other parts of a lens... it has out-lived its useful life.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration