Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Signet 35 RF Not Working Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Kodak Signet 35 RF Not Working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rabbitandsquirrel
Tinkerer
Username: Rabbitandsquirrel

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello-
I've had this camera for a while and just recently started trying to get it back into working order. I've cleaned the shutter and it's working better than before, however, my problem now is getting it to focus... there's no split image when you look through the viewfinder.
From what I've read on Daniel Mitchell's site he recommends replacing the beamsplitter if it's too hazy. I'm less than a noob when it comes to repairing cameras, so I'm assuming the mirror he means is the one in front of the viewfinder. With that in mind, if I replace that part should this solve the problem?
Thanks in advance. :D

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 67

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2012 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Rangefinder on the Signet consists of a Mirror and a half-mirror (beam-splitter). The Half-mirror is indeed the one in front of the VF openings.

Before messing with the half-mirror. Have you checked that the regular mirror is present behind the RF window?

Does the RF mirror move with the lens at all? Could be the linkage between it and the focus of the lens has been messed with (the one that can be adjusted with the screw hidden under the DOF-tag)

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1211

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2012 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the camera rattle? You might find when you take the top off that the right hand mirror has come unglued and fallen off. I have notes on the disassembly if you need them: rick_oleson@yahoo.com

Rabbitandsquirrel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Mr flibble- the mirror is there behind the RF window, however, the mirror does not move when the lens is being focused. I thought maybe there was an issue there when I noticed nothing was moving. :-)
Any ideas how to repair that?

Rabbitandsquirrel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Rick- No rattle, both mirrors are intact.

All this, and I have a new problem now. After cleaning the shutter assembly and testing it a few times I now have a stuck (closed) shutter.
Whee, this camera has been a true joy. :-(

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 301

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depends on how you cleaned it. If you just flooded it with lighter fluid, the grease could have just redistributed itself to another far corner of the mechanism, only to congeal again. Or you could have dislodged a spring that worked it's way off a post.

As for your rangefinder, I think it's similar to the Signet 40, and due to the construction methods Kodak used, you may have a broken rivet on one of the levers. Or the camera has been dropped, and something has come off track from the shock. Only way to find out is to open it up to see what is happening. Then you'll know what needs to be done to fix it.

Insides of a Signet 40 Rangefinder

PF

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 68

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2012 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Synchro 300 shutter is particularly sensitive to dirt and dried grease. If the shutter sticks open, it's probably down to dirty shutter blades.

The RF mirror movement is controlled by a cam that moves when the lens helical is turned. There should be a screw hidden under the DOF-panel that allows you to calibrate the cam.

Or someone might have messed with the focussing helical and the way the lens sits on it.
Does the actual focus match with the distance scale of the lens?
There are 2 or 3 screws in the helical that allows you to adjust this. But I wouldn't go messing with this, until you are sure this is the problem.

And Rick's notes will help a lot too.

Good luck.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 96

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2012 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan Mitchell has some info worth looking at.

http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=signet35

Good Luck

Rabbitandsquirrel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions & info. I managed to do the x-synch conversion of the shutter yesterday, however, it's still stuck.
I decided to take the plunge and began disassembling the shutter carefully (which was probably a bad idea) in an attempt to clean the blades. (I'm using the info. from Dan Mitchell's site.)
Previous to this yesterday I got a little overzealous with lighter fluid and now it's completely saturated the blades and inner lens. I managed to remove as much excess fluid as I could in hopes it wouldn't damage anything further.
At this point, I'm considering my options.. if it's even worth sending off to the repair shop.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 160

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get a can of electronics cleaner (the drys dry kind like CRC 5-56. Not the greasy type.) and spray the shutter. It will dry out the excess lighter fluid and clean out any old grease as well.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 97

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And use lots of Q-tips to help the electronics cleaner mop up. I finish cleaning the blades with the CRC5-56 sprayed on a q-tip and keep wiping the blades. You can eventually get them spotless and the shutter is a little weak on "power" and needs clean blades.

I have often cleaned the inside of a rear lens with q-tips going through the shutter held open in B. I do remove the rear lens whenever possible though before cleaning a shutter.

Rabbitandsquirrel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey guys-
so i took a different stance today and decided to open up the top and check out the rangefinder a bit more. i took some pics with my phone but i don't really think it'll help my cause. nothing is moving inside, i think there are some springs or rivets that are worn or off and i've basically lost all hope. i appreciate everyone's help but i've came to realize i think this camera is junk to me.
if anyone on this thread needs parts, let me know. i really think this thing is f*cked, before i decided to disassemble it.
send me an email @ linsboyd@gmail.com if you're interested. i'm in va, so perhaps if you're in the area and feel you can restore it for me for a reasonable price or at least use it for your own personal gain it'd be worth it.
:-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration