Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Is this normal? QL17 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Is this normal? QL17 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canonet QL17, early model, not G-III. everything seems to be working ok but this is new to me... The aperture on manual works as most rangefinders, you can see it from the back with the film door open, you can see it open and close as you move the aperture ring.
But on Auto,(with a battery in) you can see that it's open all the way until you start pressing the shutter button. (this is the new to me part)... after snapping a photo the aperture stays at that position until you advance the film lever. Is that normal? From what I'm guessing, after shooting a photo in Auto, it turns off the meter? (I hope) because it takes on the characteristics of it being in manual mode(?)... I read the manual and the meter doesn't work in manual, not even as a guide, except on the QL28.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 159

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Annoying, isn't it? But you don't have to have the film door open to see it. The aperture is visible looking from the front.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 166

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the function of the aperture is normal. I don't think the meter will turn off in Auto. You must put on a lens cap, or turn it to something other than "A".

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 302

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, it's normal. That's why I gave mine away.

PF

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 18

Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL! it's not really that annoying to me, don't even notice it unless you're looking for it. I shot a roll today, every other shot was Auto...Manual...etc... so i can test the meter. seemed like the reading in the viewfinder was off... ASA 100, 1/125 @f8 on a bright sunny day? the needle never got above f8 and was erratic. Hopefully the aperture was correct and the needle just needs adjusting.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration