Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cds cell replacement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Cds cell replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 167

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2012 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm appealing to the electronics experts in the crowd to help me out. I am looking to replace a Cds cell in a Petri Racer and was wondering if these would be suitable:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-Photoresistor-Cds-Light-Sensitive-Device-Dependent-Res istor-LDR-GL5537-1-/260918852600?pt=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item3cbff9bbf8

At that price, and if they work, it would save tearing apart a donor camera. I realize that I may need to install a POT and/or other resistor.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 272

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2012 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They might work.
The thing is, CdS cells are crapshot - no two are same, so even if you got exactly same spec one you'd have to adjust the meter somehow anyway.
The basic response curve is roughly the same, none really straight and I'd say that the nonlinearity won't be much trouble with modern film anyway.

Greets!
Marek

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 169

Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the help. I am going to check if they will physically fit, and if so, I will probably give them a try.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration