Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Is this fungus in the lens? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Is this fungus in the lens? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Santaji
Tinkerer
Username: Santaji

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought my Yashica Electro 35 GTN on eBay recently. The seller said there was no fungus on the lens, just some dust. I've had the camera for about a month now and after taking a closer look i think there is a bit of fungus inside, on the front element but i'm not sure. I have uploaded some pictures of the lens here: http://imgur.com/a/PwtkC
Is this fungus? If it is, what can i do about it?

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 171

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that's a good crop of fungus alright. You will have to remove the front element and clean off the fungus. I have had good success with ordinary rubbing alchohol and a cotton swab. Others have used peroxide or Windex. Either way, it should be relatively easy to remove. Hopefully there is not to much damage to the coating.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 309

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Athletes foot cream is an alternative. Also, the oil from your nose will work. I know, I've tried it. But not on something in that large an area.

PF

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 50

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any advice on how to check for etching before reassembly. I know, if its obvious, you'll see it, but I've learned to check again with perfect lighting. I had a lens with fungus on the backside of the objective that I cleaned nicely. It looked like all was good until images came back. The lens was simple (I think Apotar on an Agfa folder) so I put it back together correctly (I also checked). Now, if I get a strong light and take the shutter/lens assembly off, I think I see what must be etching. Or is it remnant fungi?

In any case, I had about as bad a case of fungus as the original poster. I recommend strong raking light to check for etching before putting things back together. If there's etching, you won't get sharp images (not sharp enough for my liking). At which point I'd search for a donor camera with a good objective.

What are the experiences of others here?

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 172

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have rarely seen any significant etching on lenses. The photos of this particular lens show the "spder web" fungus, which I have found is easy to remove. I find it hard to believe that etching will seriously affect the lens performance. It would have to be extreme to be noticable. I have lenses with scratches on the elements that perform just fine. You might see a slight decrease in contrast, but I don't think sharpness would be affected.

Br1078lum
Tinkerer
Username: Br1078lum

Post Number: 311

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got a camera that I actually gouged the center element (tool slippage), and I can't see any degradation of the image.

PF

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 51

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, then maybe I need to reassemble again. There is definitely something left on the lens though. I'm sure its not solvent residue or finger smudge and I do know that my images are lower in contrast and less sharp than my other Agfa folders.

I read that there are many, many different species of fungus, some more acidic than others. I may have been unlucky.

I also have a Nikkor 50 1.4 with scratches on the outside of the objective (I think someone tried to clean beach sand with a towel) and that thing is completely useless. Other than the damaged objective, its perfect. Frustrating.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration