Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 won't wind on without ripp... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon AE-1 won't wind on without ripping film. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Migle20
Tinkerer
Username: Migle20

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was sifting through the loft about this time last year, and found my dad's old canon ae-1, and since last year I've gone through a good 10 or 12 films, however since march I've been trying to get it to work again as it will not wind on.

It's a peculiar case, as I've searched the internet for a problem that's similar to mine with no avail.

The long and short of it is, the camera works perfectly with no film in, it winds on fine, when the door is open or closed, when a film is loaded, the wind on is fine until i shut the film door. Once the door is shut, it will not let me wind on without force, and if it is forced, the film rips.

Unfortunately mine, nor my dads knowledge of cameras know the solution, hopefully one of you do though. I know ae-1 body's are fairly cheap to replace, but you can't replace sentimental value!

Cheers, Miles

Daveptt
Tinkerer
Username: Daveptt

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clue to this is when the film door is closed. The film is getting jammed. Check that the pressure plate is free to move. It may be the cause. You may have fixed it by now!

Daffodil1003
Tinkerer
Username: Daffodil1003

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much for the post.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration