Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A1 shutter releases when I adva... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Canon A1 shutter releases when I advance the film... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Emccown
Tinkerer
Username: Emccown

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Canon A1 shutter releases everytime I advance the film. Has anyone experienced this before or have any advice on how to repair it?

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 177

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Common issue: the MG2 combination magnet surface is contaminated. My experience has been that the magnet surface attracted some small metal particles and this keeps the two surfaces of the magnet from holding. After removing the bottom cover, the MG2 magnet is the one that the cocking lever charges-it should hold after cocking the shutter. My repair has been to carefully cut a small flap in the plastic magnet cover and clean the two magnet surfaces. Carefully cover up the flap with tape (I use a glue to attach the flap to the cover). This should solve your problem as it is not too common for the magnet to fail, normally just dirty.
Bill

Emccown
Tinkerer
Username: Emccown

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you SO MUCH! I'm going to give this a try!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration