Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus om 50mm mc 1.4 lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus om 50mm mc 1.4 lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Grandaddave
Tinkerer
Username: Grandaddave

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've had a good few of these lenses pass through my hands. just inside the front element the casing has a speckled effect. black with small white spots. looks as if this could be normal, but would like to check before re-selling. has anyone seen this before? cheers

Sciroccs
Tinkerer
Username: Sciroccs

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just purchased one of these lenses myself, with the same issue; very interesting? I would like to know the answer as well.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 282

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Schneideritis, perhaps?

Grandaddave
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi.. the optics are crystal clear and looking through from the rear everything looks normal. the white spots are on the inside casing. i do'nt know if anyone has seen the inside panels of a self cleaning oven?? That's what it looks like.. I've got 8 1.4's in stock and have discovered it on 1 other..

Sciroccs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes! Thank you for the suggestion......I was thinking that, but wanted to confirm what "Schneideritis" was again, from my failing memory. From what I have read, it has absolutely no affect on image quality. Luckily for me, this is my first experience with the phenomenon.

Grandaddave
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi.. i've stripped the front optics and each element is completely clear. the speckles are on the casing. quite uniform in nature, which makes me wonder if this is normal for some of the MC lenses. i think i'll get in touch with Olympus and see if there is someone old enough to throw some light on this anomaly.. cheers

Sciroccs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Grandaddave,

Like yourself, I disassembled the front lens group to remove haze and some large black particles, of what appears to be old flat black paint? I think someone must have been in the lens prior, and scraped some of the paint off of the rear portion of the front group metal casing.

I also noticed that the schneideritis looking white spots were not on the glass, but appeared to be on the inside of the casing? I was not able to remove the front element with my rubber tool, and there doesn't appear to be any slots/holes for my lens spanner. The entire front group came out as a result of my attempt to remove just the front element. This ended up being a blessing as all the haze/dust/debris was confined in between the two lens groups.

I would still like to get at the front elements to give them a good cleaning as well; any tips? Cleaning the front elements certainly isn't totally necessary, but I would just like to do it anyway. Maybe the retaining ring on my specimen is just really tight? Anyhow, I'm happy to see that the lens is crystal clear. I have a roll of APX 100 loaded in my OM2n; I'm quit excited to see the results. I would be interested in hearing what Olympus has to say about the spot issue.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 181

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the 1.4 is the same as the later "Made in Japan" 1.8, you may not be able to remove the front element. In the few exploded diagrams I have seen, the front group is one unit. The front element is not held in place with a retaining ring. I'm not sure how it comes apart or if it is even possible. In my copy of the 1.8, there is a slight hint of fungus around the edges between the front element and the second element. I would love to get it apart to give it a cleaning. If you find out how to do this, please post it!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration