Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus pen EE2 - lost for ideas! Won... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus pen EE2 - lost for ideas! Wont fire at higher shutter speed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ctphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Ctphoto

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I got a "perfect" condition pen EE2 off ebay that I quickly discovered had a problem with the meter.
On dismantling I found that the meter had got caught up on it's pivot, aided by a loose screw that was stuck to the magnet in the centre of the meter assembly. After a simple push, the meter and its wire lever are now moving about in response to light BUT the shutter still won't fire in auto mode.
Does anyone know how the higher shutter speeds are generated on the pen ee2? I have found it difficult to fit the brass meter casing back into its slot without impeding the movement of the copper indicator which moves in relation to the light hitting the selenium meter.
I imagine that the higher shutter speeds are triggered by a current generated by the selenium meter which, when sufficient light is detected causes the copper indicator wire to rotate and create a contact with a receiver at the far end of the light meter assembly.
Despite the two now touching in bright light conditions, the red flag still appears preventing shutter release.
I am at the point of writing off the camera as having a dud meter that can't generate enough current, but before it heads for the bin wanted to access the group knowledge here in case there is a simple answer.
It is a shame as the rest of the camera is in amazing condition having spent most of its life on a shelf!

Many thanks,

Chris

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 169

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You know, it was always my impression that the Pen EE and EE2, etc., had only a single shutter speed (1/60th) and the selenium cell only operated the iris.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 283

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The EE-S has two speeds, 1/40 and 1/200. No idea about the EE2.

Waynemel
Tinkerer
Username: Waynemel

Post Number: 178

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure the problem is with the meter? On the lens barrel, there are selections for use with a flash. These selections limit the shutter speed to 1/40th (or whatever the slow speed is). Could the problem be with that mechanism?

Ctphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mndean - thanks for the reply. The EE2 has two speeds same as the EE-S
Waynemel - The assembly around the lens rotates nicely and exposes the selenium bit of the meter when rotated to the white ASA settings. Seems to be working ok but will have a bit more of a dismantle and check some connections. The camera looks like new so can't imagine parts have worn out through use.

Ctphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just for future searchers of this thread. I have found the problem after a few more hours of tinkering.

The light meter was not working due to the loose screw that had been attracted to the magnet of the light cell (not sure where it came from!)
The higher shutter speed is selected on a "trap" system. With the top of the EE2 off, look by the view finder at the front of the camera. To the left is the red flag assembly which rises when the shutter is activated in low light. Dependent on where the light meter needle falls (can be simulated by putting in a small screwdriver) the assembly will allow the shutter to fire at 1/200s or 1/40s. Very clever design!

Just need to solder on the copper extension wire I snapped during dismantling and the camera will be good to go.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration