Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pen D shutter firies when winding Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Pen D shutter firies when winding « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eurekaiv
Tinkerer
Username: Eurekaiv

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi... I've got this Pen D that I'm trying to fix up. It has an intermittent problem of releasing the shutter as you wind the film on. It does not happen all the time and winding slowly will more often then not make it cock and stay cocked whereas winding quickly nearly always results in the shutter firing on its own. I've dis-assembled the camera down to the winding mechanism and can watch it happen as I wind it on. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the widning mechanism or the shutter. I don't want to pull the entire lens apart if I don't have to but I can't see anything in the winding portion that appears to be a problem. Here's a photo of the camera's winding mech...

Pen D winding mechanism

The yellow arrow shows the direction the lever moves to cock the shutter. The red arrow points to the shutter tab that comes from within the lens assembly. In the photograph the shutter is in the cocked position. When it fires on its own, it automatically moves back to where the yellow arrow starts. It can then be re-cocked but whether it sticks or flips seems to be fairly random, other then it being more or less common depending on how fast I advance the winder.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1214

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the cocking lever is not being pushed quite far enough, perhaps do to wear at the rubbing surfaces. Have you tried bending the red-arrow lever slightly to the right so that the yellow-arrow lever will push it a little farther?

Eurekaiv
Tinkerer
Username: Eurekaiv

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2012 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's exactly what was wrong, thanks Rick. I wasn't able to fix it by bending the lever so I instead created a little more tension on the black spring—now it's cocking and holding perfectly every time. Hopefully this post can help others that may have the same problem in the future. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration