Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord - just can't align viewing... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleicord - just can't align viewing and taking lenses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Miwashi
Tinkerer
Username: Miwashi

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't seem to align both of them on my Rolleicord V.

I noticed that when I turned to infinity focus, items in the distance were still a bit soft through the viewfinder. So I decided to open the camera up.

I set the focus dial to infinity focus, and turned the viewing lens so that the image in the viewfinder was as sharp as it got, and it seems like I had indeed improved the possible sharpness.

Now the problem is aligning the taking lens. To get the sharpness of the taking lens to match that of the viewing lens, I need to turn it some more, but the screw housing prevents this. The taking lens is turned as much as it can into the housing but the image is still a bit soft.

What am I doing wrong?

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 196

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Rolleicord is a slide focusing camera, not a frontcell focusing one.
The taking lens has to be screwed completly inside and a possible focusing error adjusted by adding or taking away chims between lensboard and slides.

Miwashi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, June 18, 2012 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I did is i fixed a focusing screen onto the film plane and I'm viewing the image through the taking lens from there.

the taking lens is already fully screwed in and the lens fascia is recessed as much as it can go into the main body, but the image is still soft. I'm sure it can get sharper if the lens goes just a bit closer to the body.

I noticed there are 2 sort of spanner-shaped 1mm thick metal shims inside that separate the lens mounting from the body. I was wondering if everyone's rolleicords have these shims? I thought of removing them but if others can get sharp focus without removing them I'll see what else I can think of.

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 197

Posted on Monday, June 18, 2012 - 04:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would advise to shoot testfilm first. Maybe the film gets a bit closer to the lens then a focusing screen.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 275

Posted on Monday, June 18, 2012 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Follow Hans advice first.
Then: the taking lens has to be screwed COMPLETELY in. The infinity focus is adjusted by repositioning stopping point of the focusing knob (!!!!). The viewing lens has to be adjusted as last.

Marek

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 1217

Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What Marek said. Forget the focusing screen, adjust the infinity stop so the taking lens is correct, then adjust the viewing lens so the screen matches the film. They probably matched, and just had the focus-knob-adjust problem, before you reset the viewing lens.

Miwashi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice. Can I ask how to reposition the stopping point of the focusing knob?

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 283

Posted on Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just by unscrewing the screws that hold the knob on the axle... Then move the knob on the axle. It can get tedious till you get it right, but OTOH it does not matter so much if the lens can focus past infinity a little (as long as it's really just a little), just match the viewing lens afterwards.
Marek.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 96

Posted on Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could it be the ground glass of the viewing lens is installed upside-down on this camera? I know a Fresnel lens in a Speed Graphic will never match with the focus if it is installed the wrong way round.

Just throwing that out there.

Stormy_weather
Tinkerer
Username: Stormy_weather

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Possible, the matte side needs to be the underside.

My procedure to adjust focus on a Rolleicord:

#1 Remove front leatherette and remove outer frame of the lens board
#2 remove cover plate of focusing knob
#3 set focus knob to infinity
#4 Loosen slotted nut inside focusing knob, turn knob away from infinity and moderately tighten again.
#5 put a ground glass onto the film rails (matte side towards the lens)
#6 Focus on something really distant and adjust focus in the film plane using a strong loupe
#7 Loosen focus knob again and turn knob to infinity without altering the position of the lens board and tighten the knob. The taking lens focus is now adjusted. If it is not possible to adjust the taking lens focus, the position of the lens board is wrong and a more serious repair is necessary, if at all possible.
#8 Loosen the small screw on top of the viewing lens and turn the lens until the distant object appears sharp on the ground glass (using the loupe), tighten the screw. The taking lens focus is now also adjusted.
#9 Reassemble

Regards,

Sven

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration