Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleiflex Synchro Compur shutter pro... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Rolleiflex Synchro Compur shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mihaibesliu
Tinkerer
Username: Mihaibesliu

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 06:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi to all of you!
I recently bought for approximately 20$ a Rolleiflex T. The camera is an overall bad esthetic shape~no more leather, no Rolleiflex name plate :| ~but the biggest problem is that the Synchro-Compur shutter is not working. When I try to cock the shutter, the cocking lever it's don't getting blocked and it comes back to the original(uncocked ) position. What do you think is the problem?
Thanks in advance to all of you!

Mihaibesliu
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

and a photo of the Compur
http://i46.tinypic.com/2h34vsw.jpg

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 133

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is not an uncommon problem with Synchro Compur shutters, especially the tiny ones like yours. It could be as simple as needing a proper clean and lube. These are great shutters when cleaned and lubed but rather finicky when they start getting dirty. They are also not the easiest shutter to DIY.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 134

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

p.s. I wouldn't swear to it but it looks like you might be missing part of the release mechanism.

Mihaibesliu
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cleaned the speed governor and much of the shutter in/with lighter fluid.
I think too that there are some parts missing!

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 180

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The part that is missing is the blocking lever and spring. The shutter will work without this lever so that is probably not the cause of your problem. The blocking lever prevents both the shutter from being released and the MXV lever from being put into the V position until the shutter is cocked.
If you look at the top of the shutter (12 o'clock in your photo) you can see the delayed action escapement and its setting lever at around 1 o'clock. The slot in the setting lever should have a stud extending through it and I do not see that in your photo so it does make me concerned about whoever was last in the shutter. Perhaps it was not reassembled properly and that is the cause of some problems..
Bill

Brianshaw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 135

Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you figure out if you have all the parts, and the parts in the right places... please don't forget the "lube" part of CLA. You mentioned some cleaning but you didn't mention any lubing. Sychro Compurs love to be properly lubricated!

Mihaibesliu
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After I took of this part *1 (in the first picture) I found this spring (greeb line), which i don't know if it's pusses against the right place(curently is pushing against the lens barrel)!
What do you think?
Thanks because you help me.
http://tinypic.com/r/28ch6bt/6
http://tinypic.com/r/15q8avr/6

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 204

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On my Rolleiflex T's shutter that spring is situated like this (marked in red, dotted where hidden from view) :

Hanskerensky
Tinkerer
Username: Hanskerensky

Post Number: 205

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another camera, another Synchro-Compur, view from a different angle :

Mihaibesliu
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because there are parts missing I wil send it to a service...
Thanks to all of you for help!
I will keep you informed with the estethical restauration of the Rolleiflex!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration