Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

My New Yashica Mat Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » My New Yashica Mat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug
Tinkerer
Username: Doug

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up a very nice Yashica Mat with Luxamar glass (guessing early model, 1957 or so) for $58. Everything works, shutter speeds all seem appropriate, aperture move easily and cosmetically very good. The only thing that bothers me is the film transport (works well enough) but sounds like a coffee grinder. Is is a big deal to lube? I plan on re-skinning the camera anyways and am wondering if that would be the time to open up the side and fix it up.

Nick_merritt
Tinkerer
Username: Nick_merritt

Post Number: 32

Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2012 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a common gripe about the Yashica Mats. Have you tried it with film? I think what you're hearing in part is the empty film spool against the silver gear in the take-up chamber. My experience is that it's a lot quieter (more of a "zzz") with film in it.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 102

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2012 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might wrap a couple of turns of masking tape around the take up spool where the gear rides against it. I have a Yashicamat EM and a 124 and each sound totally different, with the EM being noticably louder.

If you do want to clean it and relube it, it is easy to get to, if you have the leatherette off.

Good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration