Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM2 shutter replacement with un... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Nikon FM2 shutter replacement with unit from FM2n « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jirkain
Tinkerer
Username: Jirkain

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2012 - 06:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have nice black Nikon FM2 - the original one with X200 flash sync. It has cracked honeycomb shutter blades. Then I have complete shutter unit taken from FM2n with smooth aluminum blades.

Q: is it possible to implement whole FM2n shutter unit into old FM2 (whole unit or just replace shutter blades and leave there original timing mechanism).

I'm asking because FM2n doesn't have the X200 position on shutter-speed dial, so there might be different interface between shutter unit and dial button.

Thanks! Jiri

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 181

Posted on Monday, July 02, 2012 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While you can replace the Titanium honeycomb blades with the newer style aluminum blades, it might be easier to just replace the whole shutter. You can install the new style FM2n shutter in the older FM2 but you will have to move the speed cam from the older shutter to the new shutter. Remove the plastic speed gear on the front of the shutter and underneath is the speed cam. You can then swap out the speed cams.
Bill

Jirkain
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill, thanks for your reply. I'll give it a try.

Also I'm curious if the flash top sync speed will remain at X200 or it will be 1/250..

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 182

Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2012 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The flash will sync at all speeds up to 1/250 with the new style shutter..

Jirkain
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, thanks Bill!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration