Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA sliding cover sticking Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Olympus XA sliding cover sticking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Railcrew
Tinkerer
Username: Railcrew

Post Number: 28

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got an Olympus XA, the sliding lens cover sticks in the bottom track. I'm going to tear it apart to clean and service it soon, while I'm in there, is there anything I cam put on that slider to help it not stick so bad? (yes the metal clicker is there)

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it torn apart and cleaned. The sliding door works fine now after cleaning out the tracks. One problem is the bottom track on the bottom plate had a part smashed in causing friction. that piece fell off while removing the bottom. It is right where the door flange rests when closed so I must be careful to not let the door flip up when closed but for now it will do, it seems to sit there fine. There was also the problem of the glass was broken on the small rangefinder window and rattling around in the camera. It can't be fixed so I just left it out for now. The camera works perfectly otherwise and worth the $9 I paid for it considering they're going from $50-$100 on eBay right now. I used this as a guide: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6901/2122.html

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 68

Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2012 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Congrats!
I have a couple XAs and the sticky door is a common problem. Its more of a problem when the previous owners attempt to fix or force. Anyway, a very nice little camera that does surprisingly well with color transparency film. I took mine to Mexico (vacation) a couple years ago and I love how it handled -- small and easy to use for those of us who need shutter speeds and apertures. The only apology was some vignetting on shots with very bright sun (e.g., coral sand beaches at noon).

Enjoy your new gem. If you get a chance to pick up the X10? flash unit, do so. Also, I'd avoid the XA2 and XA3. I have those too and I'm not impressed, but sometimes you can find one with the flash unit attached which makes the purchase worthwhile.

Railcrew
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Friday, July 06, 2012 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I've researched the XA's and decided a while ago I only wanted the original XA. It always has rave reviews on how much real rangefinder camera with a dynamite lens was packed into such a small package. The other XA's are basically zone focus and light-type exposure settings. I could never find one on eBay that was under $60 and I only wanted to spend $30. I got this one for $6! Can't wait to test it out.

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 69

Posted on Friday, July 06, 2012 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found both of my XA's in thrift stores. I probably paid $10 or less for each. They look like just another junk point-n-shoot to people and get lumped in with the pile. I sorted through the pile and got lucky.

The original XA really is a gem. Hard to believe they followed it up with the dud XA2 and XA3. Trust me, those cameras don't carry the legacy at all.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration