Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica mat lens swap Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashica mat lens swap « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fbonito
Tinkerer
Username: Fbonito

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello,

i aquire a yashica mat, working great, but the taking lens have some scratches... the viewing lens are perfect.

can i swap these lens, so that the better quality goes to the film?

thanks

Fbonito
Tinkerer
Username: Fbonito

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well... not the all the lens... just the first glass element...

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 185

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not switch out the front lens elements. If you remove the taking lens and the viewing lens, you will see that they are quite different in construction. The front elements are not the same and if you switch them, you will have a poor performing taking lens. Much worse than any image degradation caused by some scratches. And quite frankly, I don't think you will see any image quality issues with some scratches on the front element.

Finnegan
Tinkerer
Username: Finnegan

Post Number: 188

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, they are not the same.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 93

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Best chance might be to try and get hold of a scrap camera.There may be a few around, thanks to the somewhat suspect Yashicamat winding mechanism. The front group usually unscrews complete, rather than just the front element only.

Brcamera
Tinkerer
Username: Brcamera

Post Number: 186

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you feel you need to replace the element group, please PM me as I can supply replacement lenses for your Yashica.
Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration