Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Aires Viscount, shutter fires as soon... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Aires Viscount, shutter fires as soon as I wind « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Agchicago
Tinkerer
Username: Agchicago

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up a(nother) Aires Viscount, and after cleaning the lens, shutter, etc. I noticed a peculiar problem. When I advance the film winder, the shutter fires automatically. I have to actually press the shutter release to get it to wind again, as if half the mechanisms are still thinking they work. I didn't take this apart any farther then to stare at the shutter blades and do a little light cleaning, so I can't imagine I caused this (or maybe I did). Anyway, question really is, any opinions on if I start digging into the lens/shutter area first, or just go ahead and remove the entire assembly off the body. I'd like to avoid removing the entire assembly, unless it's pretty obvious I need to dig into the linkages between the shutter release and shutter mechanism itself.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 89

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you get as far as removing the front group, you should be able to reach the shutter, and the levers that are operated by the rest of the camera. Start with the dress ring, and then it is really very obvious to the point that the front group is out.

Then you can see if the shutter is working properly, it has a completely standard arrangement of cocking and trip levers, other than that they are rather short.

If I recall correctly, the shutter is mounted "backwards", with the speed ring towards the back of the camera.

The whole shutter cocking mechanism on this camera is a bit fragile. The wind-on rotates a toothed sector ring on the front of the camera, which engages a pinion (small gear), which twirls the shaft that has an eccentric that pushes the shutter cocking lever. From the pinion on, it's fragile.

Hi_country_flash
Tinkerer
Username: Hi_country_flash

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well this is the same thing a Viscount that belongs to a friend of mine is doing. OK so now I know how to get to the shutter , what I would like to know is what is the cause of the misfiring shutter? And , perhaps a bit of help on how to fix it. Thanks , Dave

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 98

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably the shutter needs a clean, lube, adjust. The catch to keep it cocked until the trigger lever is pushed may not be working. Or, some of the mechanism from the camera body to shutter for cocking and tripping it may be out of sorts. The camera body itself is really simple, but that mechanism is frail.

If you remove the shutter from the camera, and the cocking and trip levers work right, the problem is the body. If they don't work right, the problem is the shutter. Opens pretty much like any rim-set shutter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration