Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina Reflex S misfiring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Retina Reflex S misfiring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Msteen1314
Tinkerer
Username: Msteen1314

Post Number: 53

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2012 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently obtained a Retina Reflex S in very good condition along with a 50mm f:1.9 for under $23 Canadian however there is an issue with the shutter misfiring.

When you wind the camera on, things seem okay however the shutter will only fire intermittently, most often though, not.

Taking the lens off, and looking at the camera body straight on, the lens mount has a small tab on the interior at the 10 o’clock position. When the shutter fails to fire, this tab can be pushed gently towards the 11 o’clock position and the shutter fires. All speeds seem to be pretty accurate, thankfully. This only issue seems to be how to get this tab to complete its full travel.

Any assistance would be appreciated as I’m hopeful that this may be a relatively easy fix. (I know, easy fix and Retina Reflexes don’t go hand in hand)

Thanks in advance

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 61

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day there,

Those are classic symptoms of a Reflex S needing a proper service, and as you suspect, there is no 'easy fix', sorry.

It is a full day's work to strip, clean and reassemble one of these cameras, assuming nothing goes wrong, as frequently happens unfortunately.

Regards, Chris

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 54

Posted on Friday, July 13, 2012 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris. While I was hoping you'd see the post I'd hoped for better news :-(

While the camera no doubt would benefit from a CLA, in your experience, is the misfiring likely due to dried or gummed lubricants versus actual mechanical issues. The camera is in great shape, and for $23, the 50mm f1.9 is worth that alone so the camera is almost a freebee.

I'd like to see if there is anything I can do on my end before I give up and either shelve it (hate doing that) or sending it your way when funds permits. Like I said, all shutter speeds are snappy when they fire.

Any help would be appreciated.
Martin

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 62

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Martin,

Yes, the problems are almost certainly due to your camera needing cleaning.

You may find that if you warm the camera up gently with a hair-dryer or similar, that the shutter will work fine....at least until it cools down, as sticky lubricants soften up from the heat.

There is only one adjustment to the cocking action in these cameras, and that sometimes can help with a camera where the shutter doesn't quite cock reliably when the film is advanced. The typical symptom in that case is a camera that works fine with no lens fitted, but is unreliable with the extra load required to open the lens diaphragm to allow viewing. The adjustment can be thought of as compensating for extra back-lash in the gearing from wear and tear.

Since a gummed-up lens diaphragm mechanism can also cause this problem, it is important to make sure that the real problem does not lie with the lens before adjusting the camera. This is why I always ask for the standard lens as well when someone sends me a Retina Reflex body for service.

With your camera the symptoms suggest the shutter is being cocked well enough, but the mechanism doesn't unwind freely when the shutter is released.

So, the real alternatives if you'd like fully-working camera, are either to undertake the major service yourself, get someone else to do it, or put the camera on the shelf knowing the repair option is always there in the future.

Regards, Chris

Msteen1314
Tinkerer

Post Number: 55

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris,
I sent you a PM regarding the message you sent to me earlier.
Thanks again
Martin

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 63

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those interested, I've started work on a guide to stripping down and reassembling the Kodak Retina Reflex S.

You can find the first parts from here....

http://retinarescue.com/reflexsstripdown.html

Regards, Chris

Hai
Tinkerer
Username: Hai

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2013 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
Your guide of the Retina repair is great (!). Will you post the next part soon?
Regards,
Hai

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer

Post Number: 78

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Hai,

I've been too busy lately sorry, but the project is never far from my mind.

Regards, Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration