Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bolsey B2 RF troubles Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Bolsey B2 RF troubles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer
Username: Mr_flibble

Post Number: 74

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently picked up a B2 from Pacific Rim Cameras. It had some issues to begin with.
Shutter was erratic, mainly due to dirt and the fact that someone removed part of the mechanism that regulates the "B" and "T" settings.
A thorough cleaning got the other speeds back on track.

The second problem is that both rangefinder mirrors came loose.
I'm having trouble re-aligning them. Anyone have a clue? Or a schematic on how to go about this?

Any help and advice appreciated,

Rick

Wonloo
Tinkerer
Username: Wonloo

Post Number: 53

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The B2 I had does not have screws to adjust the vertical and horizontal alignments. If you have not removed the old glue from the seat yet, don't. Just put the mirrors back and glue them on with one drop of epoxy on both sides. If you put new glue on the back to reset them, the alignment will be almost for sure off. If the old glue is already removed, I will use some white grease to temporarily set them on. Make sure the vertical alignment is correct from side-to-side then fix both mirrors with epoxy on the sides. The horizontal alignment can be adjusted by varying the gap of the little fork on the harm. I hope this help.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 75

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks,

There is glue residue still on there, but it looks like someone already tried to re-attach the mirrors before.

I will see what I can do with a bit of soft glue and get the mirrors as close to proper vertical alignment as I can. Then set the horizontal with the screw.

Mr_flibble
Tinkerer

Post Number: 76

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a tough job, but I got the rangefinder back into a remotely usable condition.

I mounted the camera on a heavy tripod (actually one for a big film camera)

Removed all the old glue from everything.
I then used a slow-setting glue to attached the right mirror. And I played with it so that I could at least see the two prongs the second mirror is normally stuck to.
Then I attached the second mirror and fiddled and prodded it until the image was as close as I could get it aligned with the object 8 feet away (a section of my garden wall).

I waited for the glue to set and checked the focus again.
Then I cleaned the mirrors before reassembling the camera.

Vertical alignment is still a little off, but nothing serious!

Pfew, this one had me worried for a second.
Thanks again for the advice on this fix Wonloo!

Wonloo
Tinkerer
Username: Wonloo

Post Number: 54

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

B2 is not really a high end camera but its range finder is the best amount all my RF cameras. Bright and clear with split image like a SLR.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration