Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashicat crank problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashicat crank problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graywolf
Tinkerer
Username: Graywolf

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, had to stop lucking and register.

I have two Yashicamats with crank problems.

The first, a Yashica-Mat with the 80mm Lumaxars, I can not get the crank off. I think that someone replaced the pin with a soft one that has developed ridges. This camera has a cast aluminum crank, and I do not see anyway of getting it off without destroying it. Help preventing that will be appreciated, or alternatively pointing me to a source for a replacement crank.

The second camera is a Yashica-Mat 66 with the Yashinon lenses. The crank problem there is not so severe. It just will not stay in the closed or open position, and I can not see why. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

My thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Denny
Tinkerer
Username: Denny

Post Number: 105

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as the second problem, does it have what looks like a curved washer that acts like a spring under the crank on the crank shaft?

Here is an exploded view of a 124g that shows the stack of things under the crank handle.

http://www.oldyashica.webs.com/ym124ac5.gif

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 268

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The pin is slightly tapered. It will come out one way, but not the other. If you have attempted to drive it through the wrong way, it can take some force to get it out. Worse, if you (or someone else) have attempted to force it out the wrong way, you may have mushroomed or expanded the head of the pin so that it can't be removed. At that point, you have to cut it off and replace the crank.

Graywolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am quite aware that the pin is tapered, and did not try to drive it the wrong way. I suspect some one replaced it with a piece of nail or something at some time, and it wore a notch in the nail that is catching on one of the edges. I tried twisting it to get a clear run and that did not work either.

I am afraid you are correct, that I have to replace the crank. It looks like I can get one from someone in the parts swap forum, but he is out of town at the moment.

I also need to ask about what may be causing the problem I tried to get into the camera to fix, but I think it is better to start a new thread for that.

Thank you very much for your reply Fallisphoto, it confirmed my feeling that I was going to have to cut the crank off.

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 277

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You won't need a spare crank if you are careful and have some skill with dremel cutting wheel. Cut gently into the slot between the crank and the hub. As a result you will widen the gap there on the first cut and do no damage on the second cut (slide the crank to use the enlargened gap). Upon reassembly you will need to procure a small washer to take up the gap, a tip of an empty ballpoint cartridge might prove useful. The fix if done right is almost invisible, or, to put it in other words, it looks like it was supposed to be so.
Marek

Graywolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denny, the spring is there, what seems to be missing according to the drawing you linked too is the handle cap guide washer. See attached photo

wind crank assemby

I do not know if one is actually supposed to be in the older camera, but no combination of what you see seems to work correctly.

Suggestions?

Graywolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found a photo on the web, it looks like a fairly thick brass washer is missing. It would go to the left of all those items in the photo. If I knew how thick it needs to be, I could probably make one.

If anyone could measure one for me I would appreciate it.

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 107

Posted on Friday, July 27, 2012 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My EM is currently loaned out. If no one responds, I'll measure mine when I get it back, but it may be a few weeks. Hopefully someone has one on hand that can get the dimensions for you quicker. At least this one looks like an easy fix.

Graywolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cut the crank off the older camera and used the parts (turned out it had a couple of shims that were missing from this one) from it to fix the crank on this one.

I will need to get a crank for the older camera, but in the mean time I can now get into it to see if I can fix that other problem.

Graywolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Final follow up:

The polished crank would not stay closed. Replacing it with another plus those two shims fixed that. I now wonder if the floppy crank on that camera had not been that way from new. I suspect the problem was caused by a bad profile where the crank presses against the plastic cover.

I replaced the cast crank on the other camera that I had to cut off. No problems with that one.

Denny
Tinkerer

Post Number: 110

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are good to go on both now?

Graywolf
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2012 - 09:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Response to Denny:

Still have to sort out the shutter release problem on the older camera, but since I now have a crank on it I can remove, that is only a matter of getting around to it. I did not want to cut that old crank off until I was sure I could get a replacement.

Also, I picked up 3 parts cameras, so I am pretty sure almost anything is now fixable.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration