Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar 28/2.5 multi-start thread - a... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Vivitar 28/2.5 multi-start thread - about to give up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tel33
Tinkerer
Username: Tel33

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2012 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

alright, i successfully disassembled and clean my old vivitar - main purpose was to adjust infinity focus which is off by a few mm. In order to do that i screwed off the lens group and wanted to re-insert it on a different start in the thread. But this doesnt work as expected. In fact i find NO position to screw it back it just doesnt stick. if it does it gets stuck. So basically i cannot find the right position on this multi-start thread - what now? are there any tricks for this kind of thread?

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 296

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2012 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you're not taking apart the focus helical, but just unscrewing a lens element? Focus helicals can be a huge hassle, but lens elements generally just screw back in until they hit bottom. If there's printing anywhere, you would want it to line up, but I don't think it's critical otherwise. However, the threads are incredibly fine, and even a slight cocking will lead to frustration. Make sure you're not getting any distortion in vision, glasses, etc. A suction cup on the front element may help in getting the angle right. An undamaged thread shouldn't fight back much if you engage it right. You may just have to try and try until you feel it going together right.

I may be wrong, but the usual way to make fine focus adjustments would be to loosen the outer collar of the lens, (screws may hide under rubber), so that the outer collar, on which the focus markings are, rotates a bit relative to the actual focusing element of the lens. You then focus the lens at infinity, and move the outer ring accordingly before screwing it tight again.

If you are putting together a lens for which thread catching is critical, and have no reference, about the only thing you can do handily is put a piece of ground glass on the film plane and try focus at infinity until it comes right. If you go too far, back the thread out while keeping a little pressure on it, and it should jump noticeably to the next thread back.

Tel33
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2012 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

actually no, I didnt touch the lens group but the helical. Yes I know I should have marked its positions but its not that I cannot find the correct entry, I cannot screw it back in at all, not matter what i try. I can feel when it tries to catch a thread but then it gets stuck.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1037

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 03:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wear can play havoc to helical threads. Make sure you have not bent any of the wafer thin starts and then really clean out everything before trying every start position. As you progress around the start positions, check that you have not damaged any of the thin first portions - if you find this happening gently remove the very end of that thread with a very fine file.

Tel33
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, update. after some minor tweaking with the file and some more cleaning I finally managed to reassemble everything in correct position. Thanks Glenn.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 297

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done. Helicals can be a real nuisance.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration