Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashicamat shutter cocking problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Maintenance & Repair » Yashicamat shutter cocking problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graywolf
Tinkerer
Username: Graywolf

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Yashicamat that I was asking about the crank problem on, has a shutter cocking problem, that I was trying to get into the camera to fix when I discovered I could not get the crank off.

What is happening is that when you wind the film, and crank back to cock the shutter, the shutter does not cock. That seems like a shutter problem at first, BUT!

If the lenses are racked out to focus closer than about 10 feet, the shutter does cock. That makes me think it is a linkage problem, but I am not sure about that. It has been decades since I last worked on a TLR, and I was not an expert back then.

So while I am waiting on a replacement crank and a recover kit (this one has the Vulcanite covering, so for sure has to be replaced, I like this camera a lot, so it is worthwhile fully restoring it to me), I thought I would see if anyone can point me in the right direction towards fixing this problem.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 94

Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2012 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm I've got a Rolleflex T with a similar problem, except that it only cocks when the focus is between 6 feet and infinity. I guess the linkage from the film winding system in the body, to the shutter cocking system in the lens board, is somehow bent or worn, so it only works with the lenses in a certain position. I have used the camera in this condition but its easy to forget to rack it in (or out) and I missed some frames as a result

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 276

Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 06:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's linkage issue and quite likely you will be able to fix it without removing side panels. Remove the lens board and look for the fork cocking the shutter. You should be able to adjust the lever on the shutter side to mate with (possibly worn) fork better.
Marek

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration